Can Clicks kill the life in a recording ?

One of the songs we wrote back in the day in Denver was a 9/8 time signature in F# Phrygian. Extremely fun tune to play. Wish I still had the demo tape, I'd post an MP3. We played the thing live a lot before we ever got it in the studio, so we were fairly competent at keeping the beat straight. Would have been a good candidate for a click track, though.

If using a click kills the life of a track, it probably sucked to begin with and you're just now realizing it. It's that simple.

9/8? That's one of those things I got to have a metronome to record it. There is no way for me to get it accurate without the click track. Sort of like 5/8. I can do 5/8 without a click track. But if I'm not careful I'll pinch a note off or eventually make the note start transitioning to fit into a 4/4 pattern.

So in my head the whole time I'm just like 1 2 3 1 2. And as long as the last 1 2 (which is the 4 and 5) is some sort of accent note, it's pretty easy to do.

I grew up playing time signatures like that. But I was not aware back then what I was doing. I just remembered the sound. Then when I found out what I was doing, it became more difficult to do it. Because now I'm aware of it.

Back