Can Autotune use an input signal as a tuning guide?

Chibi Nappa

I've never used tuning software so I have no idea. But I've been doing some thought experiments and there are some things I want to try. So...Can Autotune (or any tuning software) take a guide signal and match a track exactly to the pitch of the guide?

For example: You record a clarinet, send it into Autotune and tune it to exactly match the pitch of a trombone playing the same part. So you get clarinet tone with trombone characteristics.

Or maybe you want to correct a vocal note on a performance with killer vibe and instead of tweaking the pitch with a mouse, you have the dude sing it again and use "better pitch worse vibe" as a guide track in Autotune to correct the pitch of the killer vibe take. That way you are tuning right to a human voice.

Or maybe you want to do something weird and you take two singers with totally different voices. The singer with the more interesting tone gets recorded. Put that track into Autotune and feed it a guide track with the singer who has the more interesting pitch. You get the voice characteristics of one guy and the pitch characteristics of the other.

Or maybe you are playing saxophone with an eclectic collection of instruments that are tuned to some odd scale with 18 divisions instead of 12. Record the sax playing notes as close to correct as possible and then tune it to the right scale using a vocalist as a guide signal or something.

I dunno. It seems there is so much you could do with a tuning program beyond "snap every vocal into robot pitch".

So... can you tune to a guide track?

Sorry coming to this so late, was just reading through old threads.

It is hard to say where a "guide track" as you speak of would come from. The only way to achieve what you are speaking of, is to for example record a keyboard or monophonic guitar track, and then do your singing performance in sync with this guide track.

Then you could use a VOCODER, not auto tune, to get the characteristics of the guide track, and the sibilance of your voice; if you didn't know, that is what a vocoder does. So there is no need for auto tune for this trick.

As a side note: I use atuo-tune (melodyne) to pitch correct my live recordings of acoustic guitar and vocals at once. Normally this would be bad news because of the guitar presence in the vocals track on the condensor mic. But I use a dynamic mic as well, which does NOT pick up the acoustic guitar, so works very well in melodyne, and so I use this as a TUNING guide track in melodyne for live performances! That's what I thought the thread may be about.

I don't know if such autotune software exist, I would guess not. The one in cubase can be controlled with midi but it is not exactly the thing you are looking for.

Back