Can anyone tell me if my audio interface is faulty or if I am please

JaneSeason

Hi,

r/audiophile - Can anyone tell me if my audio interface is faulty or if I am please
I recently purchased a Behringer UMC202HD audio interface just to record short songs but I don't think the second input is working.

I'll outline my findings below. I am not too informed about all this audio stuff so please be kind to my ignorance:

***** Findings *****

I am using Tracktion 5 as it is demonstrated on the Behringer YouTube channel ().

When I plug a 1/4 inch TS cable into input 2 and if I designate a track to be input 2 in Tracktion, nothing comes through in Tracktion (the levels don't change when I play the guitar).

When I plug a 1/4 inch TS cable into input 1, if I designate a track to be input 1 I get a levels moving for that track telling me the software is picking up what I'm playing, but also if I designate a track to be input 2 I also get the levels moving so I think the physical input 1 (the port on the audio interface) is linked to the digital outputs for both input 1 and input 2 (that are sent via USB to my computer), whereas physical input 2 isn't linked to anything that leaves via USB.

If I have direct monitoring on then both physical input ports work (I can hear the guitar through the headphone jack on the audio interface no matter if I plug the TS cable into input 1 or input 2).

In the image attached, on the left the guitar is plugged into input 1 and in Tracktion both tracks are picking up my playing (Track 1 is set to input 1 and Track 2 is set to input 2). On the right the guitar is plugged into input 2 and input 2's signal light is on indicating that the Behringer unit is picking up what I'm playing, but neither of the tracks in Tracktion are receiving any signal.

This also occurs in Audacity and Reaper, but it is easier to demonstrate that only one input is working in Tracktion.

***** End *****

Above is how I experimented and what I have found. Is anyone knowledgeable enough to make sense of the above and advise me on it? Have I done something wrong? Should I look at getting a replacement?

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Jane x

Attachments

• Combined.png
    Combined.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
Jane, in the audio devices section of the DAW, what ASIO driver are you using?

Is Behringer selected as the ASIO?

There should be some input information too. With enable inputs. Could you check that?

Looks like this in reaper, but you should have similar page.

Screenshot 2021-03-12 092450.jpg

Perhaps more will chime in. I am learning it all myself too. I get lost in the computer menus easily.

Last edited:
Back