Can anyone see if Im on the right page, somewhat legal.

pM of impk21.co

First off I know this is not a legal forum, or thread for that matter. I am not trying to look for legal advice here, just some opinions on what I am interpreting from what I read in my manual. I know when you purchase a product, it usually specifies you cannot sample demo work, such as those found on synth workstations, drum machines, etc. But usually it is stated in plain English, this here confuses me a bit. I always read in the maunul "use" our rythem patterns, blah blah blah, have fun, be creative, I usually do my own original work, but experimented with such pre-programmed riffs, etc, and thought about using some until I came upon this....Any suggestion on this would be appreciated... "Company" just referres to the company who made the product! Thanx.

The sounds, phrases, and patterns contained in this product are sound recordings protected by copyright. "Company" hereby grants to purchasers of this product the permission to utilize the sound recordings contained in this product for the creation and recording of original muscial works; provided however the sound recordings may not be sampled, downloaded or otherwise re-recorded, in whole or in part, for any other purpose, including but not limited to the transmission of all or any part of the sound recordings via the internet or other digital or analog means of transmission, and/or the manufacture, for sale or otherwise, of any collection of sampled sounds, phrases or patterns, or CD-ROM or equivalent means.

Would you take the first part of this section, as, yes, you can use samples or parts of such patterns with your own original material, but only for my own use, meaing, I cant use them as samples in songs I want to put on an album, press, and sell?

The sound recordings contained in the product are the original works of "Company". "Company" is not resposible for the use of the sound recordings contained in this product, and assumes no liability for any infringement of any copyright of any third party arising out of the use of the sounds, phrases, and patterns in this product.

The composers who made the patterns are listed in the owners manual. So I take from this that "hey, the Company owns this rights, but if you use a sample from a pattern Bill Clinton programmed on here, with out permission or granted publish rights, he might sue you, but "us" as the Company has nothing to do with it!

It dont make since, yes, your the purchaser, you can use them cuz we the company give you permission, but you cant use them on anything.....I dont know..........PM

I could give you my opinion, but wouldn't you be better off just emailing the company and finding out from the source?

My guess (giving the company the benefit of the doubt) is that the first part you quoted means that you can use the samples for songs, but you can't just redistribute the samples themselves as samples. For example, I could take a drum loop and use it as the drum track on my new song, but I can't stick it on my own drum loop sample CD and sell that.

The second part is one of those "cover our butts" things. It seems to me they are saying that everything on the disc is original, therefore you don't have to be worried about being sued by the actual guy who wrote it. I would guess what they're saying is that if you use their sample in a song along with a sample from somebody elses' song (which you DON'T have permission to use), they (the "company") can't be sued by the other guy. I don't know why the other guy would want to or think he could sue the company, rather than you, but just in case he might (and these days, he just might), they want to make sure they aren't liable.

But again, I'd say ask the source.

I actually called them today, and you were pretty much on the money! I can use the samples/pre-programmed material in whole or part for my own work. But like you mentioned, I cant copy/record the loops and drum patterns and then sell em on ebay or what ever! Thanx for ur reply either way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt really ask about the second part, but I understand it now pretty much the way you stated it! I read more in the owner's manual and from what I gather, like you said, If use my sampler to sample a loop from a Licoln Park park CD, the company is not liable for such acts, or what ever! Again thanx.

PM

Back