Can anyone recommend me a WAV to MIDI converter?

Jedman

Hi,
I'm asking this for my Dad, who just bought a Yamaha Discklavier piano. He'd like to convert some "easy listening" piano CD music into MIDI files so that his piano will play them.
We've tried the piano with regular midi files, and it will play the piano out the strings, and the rest of the instruments through speakers...pretty cool, actually.
If anyone knows a good software WAV-MIDI converter, please let me know and he will buy one as soon as we know what to get! :-)

Jed

Jedman said:
Hi,
I'm asking this for my Dad, who just bought a Yamaha Discklavier piano. He'd like to convert some "easy listening" piano CD music into MIDI files so that his piano will play them.
We've tried the piano with regular midi files, and it will play the piano out the strings, and the rest of the instruments through speakers...pretty cool, actually.
If anyone knows a good software WAV-MIDI converter, please let me know and he will buy one as soon as we know what to get! :-)

Jed
To the best of my knowledge, no such beast exists.

fraserhutch said:
Threse just cannot work reliably............. :)

I have to check these out.....

I really dont know how good they are!!! but let me know!!!

Wow during further review it only work for one intrument at a time... Read....

Composer normally recognizes polyphonic music with one instrument or voice. This means you won't get the appropriate results if you try to recognize many instruments playing at the same time especially with drums. Composer determines note dynamics and frequencies and translates this information into MIDI events. Composer doesn't automatically recognize the types of sounding instruments. Moreover, human voice and instruments have various timbres and complicated harmonic components, therefore recognition accuracy depends on concrete instrument or singing style. Also the recognition is influenced by quality of WAVE recordings such as background noises and recording level.

I guess it wont work for Jedman

Carter said:
Wow during further review it only work for one intrument at a time... Read....

Composer normally recognizes polyphonic music with one instrument or voice. This means you won't get the appropriate results if you try to recognize many instruments playing at the same time especially with drums. Composer determines note dynamics and frequencies and translates this information into MIDI events. Composer doesn't automatically recognize the types of sounding instruments. Moreover, human voice and instruments have various timbres and complicated harmonic components, therefore recognition accuracy depends on concrete instrument or singing style. Also the recognition is influenced by quality of WAVE recordings such as background noises and recording level.

I guess it wont work for Jedman

I didn't think so.... I assumed when they meant polyphonic, the meant polyphonic and polytimbral. My bad. Further, I would also suspect that the polyphonic doesn't work well...... that's a very difficult thing to do.

The only good one is the OS between your ears.

Learn how to write and transcribe music and you'll not only get better results, but you'll learn something, too....

Hmm...I used to play the trumpet in high school, and can plink around on the piano some, but gee - writing my own music would take talent above mine, I would think! :-)

I did google search for some, but came up with several, so I didn't know which was the best. Well, ok, I just wondered if anyone had had used any or not here. Thanks for the replies, though.
Jed

The new version of DIgital Performer (4.6) has a pitch to midi converter in it. It also ahs a bunch of new audio manipulation features that seem similar to what Melodyne offers.

Back