Can anyone identify this bass guitar, please?

Bassman Brad said:
It's a Rickenbacher.

I hate to say it, but you're all wrong! (Technically, that is)

That's an Ibanez 4003 Rickenbacker copy. Look again at the headstock on that bass and you'll see that there's no way that the full "Rickenbacker" name is that short. That, and the bold lettering is practically a perfect match with an Ibanez copy.

Here's one in a different color, but look at how close it is to a real "Rick"...

http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDe...11437-164d-4d5e-a461-c9099438a0b5&Item=836337

If not an Ibanez, it's a Penco bass, which was also making great copies of well-known American guitars in the mid to late 70's. Both Ibanez and Penco came from the same factory (Hoshino) in Japan. Tone-wise, the Japanese clones were pretty darned close to a real Rick, too! Sorry to be such a stickler, but I like to give proper credit where credit is due. The Japanese were doing some great work in the 70's and 80's. :)

Buck62 said:
I hate to say it, but except for Gorty you're all wrong! (Technically, that is)

That's an Ibanez 4003 Rickenbacker copy. Look again at the headstock on that bass and you'll see that there's no way that the full "Rickenbacker" name is that short. That, and the bold lettering is practically a perfect match with an Ibanez copy.

Here's one in a different color, but look at how close it is to a real "Rick"...

http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDe...11437-164d-4d5e-a461-c9099438a0b5&Item=836337

If not an Ibanez, it's a Penco bass, which was also making great copies of well-known American guitars in the mid to late 70's. Both Ibanez and Penco came from the same factory (Hoshino) in Japan. Tone-wise, the Japanese clones were pretty darned close to a real Rick, too! Sorry to be such a stickler, but I like to give proper credit where credit is due. The Japanese were doing some great work in the 70's and 80's. :)

Cheers Buck! :eek:

so, now we have that figured out...what is the amp and cab he is playing on...I really don't know myself but you're so good at IDing stuff that one more brain buster couldn't hurt.

Buck62 said:
I hate to say it, but you're all wrong! (Technically, that is)

If you're so damn smart, what song is he playing? ;^)

DogFood said:
so, now we have that figured out...what is the amp and cab he is playing on...I really don't know myself but you're so good at IDing stuff that one more brain buster couldn't hurt.

The head looks like an older "Acoustic 150" bass head... circa late 70's/early 80's.

I'm not sure about the cabinet.

ggunn said:
If you're so damn smart, what song is he playing? ;^)

He's playing "Closer To Home" (also called "I'm Your Captain") by Grand Funk. It's the beginning of the song and he's right where he should be on that D note... fifth fret of the A string.

Geez... I thought that one was obvious! :D

Back