Can a major Logic Pro upgrade be expected from 7 soon?

M|\tt

I am not sure what to do. I have Logic Pro 6. I want to upgrade but I am afraid of upgrading to Logic 7 if Logic 8 is just about to come out because I than would be able to just bypass Logic 7 and get eight for the same upgrade price as buying 7 right now. I am afraid of getting screwed into buying Logic 7 only to have 8 come out within the next 3 months or so. That happened when I upgraded to 6 from 5. Logic 7 came out one month later. I could have spent the same $300 bucks and just got 7. Arg.

I've heard a few things:

I heard that the emagic team is mad at Apple and that is really dragging along the progress of their next major release. If true, that could be why Logic is only at update 7.2 (meaning there could be a 7.3, 7.4, and a 7.5 before we ever see a Logic eight).

How long has each incarnation of Logic been available before the next version was unvailed?

Aren't we seriously overdue for an update? What do you guys think?

If I recall correctly, Emagic ran with version 4 for a long time. I suppose it was a flagship kind of advancement from version 3. Does Logic Pro 7 have this same kind of stroke? Do you think it will be ran with for a while? I mean, they did already release the Universal Intel version, so it's not like that will be included in some big, new release this fall.

Also, the only Logic representation at NAMM was the intel Universal version. Does that mean anything? Does apple ever give that kind of peak at an upcoming Logic version at NAMM?

I figure someone must have heard something! Or there should at least be some reasonable speculation. Thanks!!! I'm not rich!

I JUST got logic 7.2 universal, and with all the people I talked to, no one hinted at a major upgrade. Then again, the news seemed pretty dead (minus all the universal crap)

As this is my first experience with Logic but not with recording software, I've noticed a lot of little things they should change. It took me over 2 hours to get a recorded signal from interface to hard drive, with no solid leads on the interweb. It's great for midi though.

A guy at a music store I go to talks to the EMagic reps once and a while, I'll see if I can find out what's up, but I doubt anything major.

thanks for the reply! Yea, that would be awesome if you could do that! I would be very interested in hearing what someone closer to the inside has to say about a Logic 8.

So, is it true that Logic is still mainly being worked on and created by the eMagic team? I wonder what went down with that acquisition. What changed internally?

I believe it's the original eMagic team, with oversight by Apple for better integration into the OS.
I LOVE the way scoring and MIDI is handled in it, it's a world of difference than Nuendo (which I use on my PC DAW). Audio though, well, I can't say too much good stuff so far. Routing is a counterintuitive pain in the ass, and for some reason logic changed all WAV files to load in it, and I have no idea how to correct this.

I just ordered some Waves plugins and the iLok (it DOESN'T come with one, right?), and it'll be nice to have the Rennaisance plugs on the MacBook. Hopefully it'll all run smooth, but with my luck I'll get a proof-of-concept Mac virus and lose my left testicle or something.

well logic 7 is a HUGE step from 6 IMO and you should get it regardless. and my understanding of the situation is apple is running the show and emagic is outted. as far as logic 8 coming out soon, i haven't heard any rumblings about it at all.

Back