Campaign for the ultimate compressor.

pingu

There are quite a few guys here that know quality when they hear it.

Companies such as
Algorithmix and Redifined Audiometrics have succesfully created world class eq plugins.

Respected mastering engineers have stated that plugin eq's are of a very high quality today because of such companies and even use them.

However they can not say the same for plugin compressors. This is said to be, because of the non linear behaviour of dynamics.

I would love for algorithmix or Redifined Audiometrics to design a plugin that rivals the high quality outboard gear and even surpass them.

If we show that the market is strong enough for such a compressor plugin for mastering they might take notice.

What do you guys think.

Just a thought and dont hate me more than you already do.

Cheers

I don't have a problem with what you're saying here, but I do have an honest question for you or anybody else interested in this thread:

Why is it so important that stuff be in plug-in form? What do you guys have against physicality?

It's not like the ME needs portability.

G.

Most of my mastering buds are like me - they prefer hardware not only for the sound but also for the ability to quickly reach out and adjust any parameter. When I'm mastering, I don't have my hand on my trackball, but rather both hands are moving about the desk adjusting, tweaking in real time as I listen to playback.

I can't do that with plug-ins, regardless of how good they sound.

bblackwood said:
Most of my mastering buds are like me - they prefer hardware not only for the sound but also for the ability to quickly reach out and adjust any parameter. I can't do that with plug-ins, regardless of how good they sound.
That sentiment is not limited to MEs, either, Brad.

Give me a control surface any day. One that's always there, never needs to be found in a menu. And one with a UI that is designed for the job (whoever got the idea that a typewriter and a pointing device were the optimal way to do anything other than type or point?) and gives positive tactile feedback. I will never relinquish my mixer.

And while a DAW controller is a huge improvement over the archaic keyboard and mouse, it still is pouring 20 gallons of functionality into a 10-gallon container of controls when you have a dozen plug-ins with scores of parameters that you're supposed to control with just a handful of knobs.

This is why I ask the question; what's so great about plugins (other than the obvious fact that they are easy to copy and steal)?

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
I don't have a problem with what you're saying here, but I do have an honest question for you or anybody else interested in this thread:

Why is it so important that stuff be in plug-in form? What do you guys have against physicality?

It's not like the ME needs portability.

G.

If i could afford 5000 bucks plus for a compressor i would pay it.

Fact is when a company successfully creates a compressor that rivals any, it wont be anywhere near that price.
Probably 2 grand max.

To be honest i would rather turn real knobs than cursors, but i am young and only feel that things are heading more the plugin way than the hardware way.

Having said that i have been thinking about abandoning plugins and seeking out other avenues but i dont want to feel like it is my inability to cut the type of records i want and not the gear and digital format.

I am sick of upgrades software changes and computers in general.

I do not have a clue what other options i have though.
All i have ever known is protools.
After upgrading pres and ad/da whats next.
Probably look into a desk and hardware processing.

Digital seems the most economical but fuck its annoying at times.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
And while a DAW controller is a huge improvement over the archaic keyboard and mouse

I would argue the opposite, it's the mixer-style controls that are obsolete (or at least more than one of them), not the keyboard. The problem is the architecture of most plugins is not optimized for a keyboard, and there is no standardization of layouts in plugs or host applications. Their best idea seems to be the popup window, which is really terrible, ergonomically speaking.

What's needed is standardized controls within the host application, and plugs that stay in the background or are not visible at all. But unless the host app writers control the plug makers, there is no incentive for that to happen. The plug writers sure do love their skins.

If one spends the time customizing keyboard and mouse controls to match hotkeys in software, workflow can be optimized beyond what hardware allows. Unfortunately, plugs are rarely enabled with hotkeys.

On the whole, workflow is less of an issue in mastering than mixing, since there are many fewer variables to control. I really don't have any trouble arranging my desktop for mastering. Mixing . . . eh. Improvement is needed, but for me, a physical mixer is not the answer.

mshilarious said:
I would argue the opposite, it's the mixer-style controls that are obsolete (or at least more than one of them), not the keyboard. The problem is the architecture of most plugins is not optimized for a keyboard, and there is no standardization of layouts in plugs or host applications. Their best idea seems to be the popup window, which is really terrible, ergonomically speaking.

What's needed is standardized controls within the host application, and plugs that stay in the background or are not visible at all. But unless the host app writers control the plug makers, there is no incentive for that to happen. The plug writers sure do love their skins.

If one spends the time customizing keyboard and mouse controls to match hotkeys in software, workflow can be optimized beyond what hardware allows. Unfortunately, plugs are rarely enabled with hotkeys.

On the whole, workflow is less of an issue in mastering than mixing, since there are many fewer variables to control. I really don't have any trouble arranging my desktop for mastering. Mixing . . . eh. Improvement is needed, but for me, a physical mixer is not the answer.

I agree with ya on that.

I was thinking they should maybe design a box with knobs on it and you can assign parameters to it from various plugins and you can programme it to remember these settings from different plugin companies.

pingu said:
Digital seems the most economical but fuck its annoying at times.
And there it is, my friend. There's a reason why plug-ins are cheaper, and it's not just manufactuing and shipping costs; it's because they're inferior. I'm not talking sound quality, I mean overall performance...the exception being size and portability, where obviously plugins rule.

But do you really think that if we woke up this morning to a world where that $5K box - or boxes in general - didn't exist, that the $2K plug would remain at the $2K price level? No, of course not. Supply and demand. The plug would now be top pf the heap and would take over at the $5K price range. It's the irony of iron that the hardware keeps the software prices down.

G.

pingu said:
I was thinking they should maybe design a box with knobs on it and you can assign parameters to it from various plugins and you can programme it to remember these settings from different plugin companies.
Ummm...it's called a MIDI controller ;).

Ms, we have an honest and friendly disagreement on our hands on this one. The whole idea of a "universal interface" just makes no sense to me whatsover. I'm a "form follows function" kind of guy when it comes to this stuff; the ideal layout is definied by required workflow and the definition of the job being done by the device. I can't imagine a control surface (or screen layout) that would be ideal for a mixer, a parametric EQ and a reverb without having seperate control sections for each device that are custom designed for that device's needs.

Give me control surfaces or give me death! :D

G.

pingu said:
I agree with ya on that.

That box already exists; it's called a multimedia keyboard with a volume knob. Hold a function key, turn the knob. Or use the mouse wheel, that's a knob. Or somebody could make a specialized keyboard with a couple of knobs and a fader.

Unfortunately, the host apps and plugs are not enabled to easily use that kind of capability.

mshilarious said:
That box already exists; it's called a multimedia keyboard with a volume knob. Hold a function key, turn the knob. Or use the mouse wheel, that's a knob. Or somebody could make a specialized keyboard with a couple of knobs and a fader.

Unfortunately, the host apps and plugs are not enabled to easily use that kind of capability.

I wouldn't mind some kind of remote outboard rack, with a compressor, preamp, and eq faceplate, so the controls are familiar and easy, and are slaved to whatever you are running in software.

boingoman said:
I wouldn't mind some kind of remote outboard rack, with a compressor, preamp, and eq faceplate, so the controls are familiar and easy, and are slaved to whatever you are running in software.
Now there is an interesting idea. One could get the best of both worlds that way, and could use whichever interface works best for their tastes.

Flip that inside-out; imagine a real 1176 (re-make, of course) that was controllable via software as well. The "processing" is still done by the tubes and wires, but the interface would be both physical and (when desired) virtual.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Flip that inside-out; imagine a real 1176 (re-make, of course) that was controllable via software as well. The "processing" is still done by the tubes and wires, but the interface would be both physical and (when desired) virtual.

G.

Oooh...cool. I have some pieces that are digitally-controlled analog, a KT eq and ART Progate. Being able to automate some analog stuff would be pretty cool.

Back