Camera software?

ermghoti

No, really. I want to attach informational folders to my projects, with wordpad notes regarding the tracks. It struck me that even a highly compressed, low-res digital camera would relay far more infomation about a mic position or amp settings than a page of notes. Could I load a camera or cameraphone's software onto my recording rig, or do they run in the background, hogging resources and causing conflicts?

Forget camera software. If you just need to get the pictures onto your recording rig, get a card reader. You can then use the Windows Picture Viewer to view them. Stick the SD/CF/whatever card into your card reader and you'll see a new drive under My Computer. Copy the picture files into somewhere and rename them to "song-1-guitar-track vocal setup.jpg"

I've heard some bad things about Kodak's "EasyShare" software. I have a Pentax DSLR and I've never used or even installed the included software. Card Reader is the way to go.

Cool idea BTW!

PS - My "recording" rig is also used for interent, MS-Office (Outlook, etc), Web Development (runs an Apache webserver for testing), Photography (GIMP, Picassa, PSP-X), and as of yesterday DV Video work.

You don't need to load proprietary camera software in many digital cams.

My wife and son both have Kodak Easyshare cameras; they have SecureDigital cards in them and the pics are in standard JPEG format. Nothing is needed if you have a SD card reader.... I just pop the card into my laptop and copy the photos over.

Back