Camera Freaks, this is your thread!

The Ghost of FM said:
OK.

Here's an outside shot.

Still some lighting issues I guess?

You can fix that stuff on computer. You should be able to manipulate contrast curves to lighten the foreground without changing the background. Sort of like a multiband compressor for photos, if that makes sense. That's how I did my eclipse :)

The Ghost of FM said:
OK.

Here's an outside shot.

Still some lighting issues I guess?
This is one of those situations where you might want to manually turn the flash on to "fill-in" the shadow areas without overexposing the sunlit areas, thereby balancing out the exposure. The "latitude", or useable area between light and dark is only so wide - the flash helps bring it all into the same range.

mshilarious said:
You can fix that stuff on computer. You should be able to manipulate contrast curves to lighten the foreground without changing the background. Sort of like a multiband compressor for photos, if that makes sense. That's how I did my eclipse :)
I feel so analog......

whyseye said:
This is one of those situations where you might want to manually turn the flash on to "fill-in" the shadow areas without overexposing the sunlit areas, thereby balancing out the exposure. The "latitude", or useable area between light and dark is only so wide - the flash helps bring it all into the same range.

Analog . . . hehe.

The problem with using flash in that picture is the foreground recedes to the left, so it will still be unevenly lit. Flash does work well in many other instances, with discrete foreground objects. The "sunset at the beach" picture is a good example.

mshilarious said:
Analog . . . hehe.

The problem with using flash in that picture is the foreground recedes to the left, so it will still be unevenly lit. Flash does work well in many other instances, with discrete foreground objects. The "sunset at the beach" picture is a good example.
.....yeah, yeah, I know.......

You could always just get a 1 degree digital spotmeter and take the average of six or eight readings.....but then there's that whole color temperature issue.... :rolleyes: :p :D

Ghost, even though it didn't focus on Odie, the clarity of what it did focus on is really good. And I think the outside shot is kind of cool. Just say Avant Guard, or whatever ...... :D
Nice scenery though. msh, cool pic. I like the colors....the pretty, pretty colors....

whyseye said:
.....yeah, yeah, I know.......

You could always just get a 1 degree digital spotmeter and take the average of six or eight readings.....but then there's that whole color temperature issue.... :rolleyes: :p :D
All that camera techno-babble is making me think you are one of those shutterbug maniacs!

Where are your prize photos?

Whip em out!

Cheers! :)

That should be one killer camera.

We had a Canon A80 that Riley left in a restroom. :rolleyes:

Last fall she replaced it with a 5MP A610 and I think both those cameras were excellent for the price.

My kids have used the camera much more than we have, and they've got good results using both the video and stop-motion techniques.

One thing I would recommend if you don't already have it is get the power supply adapter so you can plug it in while uploading pics. Personally I think they should ship with those power cords. It would be useful doing stills too if you do a lot of Ebay items and save $$$ on batteries for functions you do at a workstation or indoors.

The Ghost of FM said:
All that camera techno-babble is making me think you are one of those shutterbug maniacs!

Where are your prize photos?

Whip em out!

Sold cameras for a living for years..... :o

Did my share of headshots, weddings, bar mitvahs, etc to realize that I really loved nature and wildlife and closeup photography....more as an excuse to get out into nature than anything, but I've always found inspiration there...takes very spendy gear and lots of time (and/or relocation), so I just do it for fun...Also have some artsy-fartsy New Age-y fine art stuff I mess around with....all done on old school slide film, with a fully manual SLR on a bellows....

Attachments

• landscape_.jpg
    landscape_.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 182
  • mountains_.jpg
    mountains_.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 170
  • vortex_.jpg
    vortex_.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 167
BTW - I think that the Canons are the best value for the bucks on the digital market right now, from the top to the bottom of the line......and I shoot with Nikon gear......

whyseye said:
Sold cameras for a living for years..... :o

Did my share of headshots, weddings, bar mitvahs, etc to realize that I really loved nature and wildlife and closeup photography....more as an excuse to get out into nature than anything, but I've always found inspiration there...takes very spendy gear and lots of time (and/or relocation), so I just do it for fun...Also have some artsy-fartsy New Age-y fine art stuff I mess around with....all done on old school slide film, with a fully manual SLR on a bellows....
This thread must be like torture for you, talking about cameras and all. :o

Nice shots btw, but they came out kinna tiny on my screen? :confused:

whyseye said:
BTW - I think that the Canons are the best value for the bucks on the digital market right now, from the top to the bottom of the line......and I shoot with Nikon gear......
That's good to hear! :)

I looked at the D-50 and the D-70 but, I thought the image sensor would be better on the Canon being a CMOS one and of higher res...plus I had all these compact flash cards from my previous cameras and didn't want to switch formats.

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is the plastic body...sort of wondering how far it can be knocked around before it cracks or shatters? :confused: :eek:

Thanks again for all you help and advice! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
This thread must be like torture for you, talking about cameras and all. :o

Nice shots btw, but they came out kinna tiny on my screen? :confused:

Thanks Ghost - they look tiny to me too!
....gonna see if I can get the system to load bigger ones.....I like them poster sized.... :cool:
I don't mind talking about it - I've been away almost long enough to be past the burnout, and enjoying playing with my gear, and forcing myself to see differently..... :D
OK - let's see if these load....

Attachments

• 340718770_m.jpg
    340718770_m.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 340720172_m.jpg
    340720172_m.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 367211372_m.jpg
    367211372_m.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 137
The Ghost of FM said:
That's good to hear! :)
...The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is the plastic body...sort of wondering how far it can be knocked around before it cracks or shatters? :confused: :eek:

Thanks again for all you help and advice! :)
The plastic body is not even the most vulnerable part....it's that tiny plastic flange where the lens bayonets into the camera body....bump that even a little, and they want to shear off....but any impact that's gonna crack the body is probably going to do more damage to your image sensor, LCD screen, circuitry, or AF drive or zoom assemblies, that you don't have to worry about cracking....
That said, you can get metal lens and body mounts on the high-end lenses - you just pay pro prices for it. The Canons are no less susceptible that I've seen than any other brand either - it's a concession the industry has made to the user who prefers a smaller lighter camera at a certain price point, and it does more the average entry-level user will ever need, but it'll be less robust that a working pro's gear. Makes some sense.....
.....anyway - you have a beautiful instrument with which to play and learn and explore and document - just treat her well, and use her in good health!
Cheers!

c7sus said:
One thing I would recommend if you don't already have it is get the power supply adapter so you can plug it in while uploading pics. Personally I think they should ship with those power cords. It would be useful doing stills too if you do a lot of Ebay items and save $$$ on batteries for functions you do at a workstation or indoors.
I've already got a CF card reader that's attached to my computer so I just take the card out of the camera and plug it into the PC's reader.

If anything, I'll probably blow some more money on another lens. Canon has this series of lens out with an image stabilizer built into them that should improve alot of my shots that require longer exposure times...I haven't checked the prices on them yet but I'll bet the cost almost as much as the camera does. :o

Dangerous hobby! :eek: :D

Back