"Calling on You"

Man when I saw this title I thought it was a Stryper cover.
Anyways, you asked for opinions so here I go, remember this is personal taste and personal taste only.

1) Mixwise I have no nits. Worship usually has the vox pretty up front, if this was another genre I'd like the guitars to be more upfront.
2) The vocals were a bit pitchy at times. Not "horrid" at all:rolleyes:
3) Very nice melody and lyrics

Now production wise

3) This sounds like an early modern worship style song. What I mean by that is sounds pretty early to mid 90s worship style. Which is cool, whatever. If you want to make it as an artist however I would go with more modern guitar tones and production (think Hillsong United type-ish, more spacey U2 style arrangements etc.). I realize however that most home recordist dont wanna make it big, they're just having fun which really its what its all about. Im not knocking you at all, its a great song wether "dated" or not.

Mike

Sounds pretty dated, really. The vocals are pretty bad. sorry, it's horrid.

Thanks!

Man when I saw this title I thought it was a Stryper cover.
Anyways, you asked for opinions so here I go, remember this is personal taste and personal taste only.

1) Mixwise I have no nits. Worship usually has the vox pretty up front, if this was another genre I'd like the guitars to be more upfront.
2) The vocals were a bit pitchy at times. Not "horrid" at all:rolleyes:
3) Very nice melody and lyrics

Now production wise

3) This sounds like an early modern worship style song. What I mean by that is sounds pretty early to mid 90s worship style. Which is cool, whatever. If you want to make it as an artist however I would go with more modern guitar tones and production (think Hillsong United type-ish, more spacey U2 style arrangements etc.). I realize however that most home recordist dont wanna make it big, they're just having fun which really its what its all about. Im not knocking you at all, its a great song wether "dated" or not.

Mike

Thanks Mike.... nope.... not really looking to "make it," I'm way too old and sexy for that :D My only goal is to perhaps inspire somebody to worship.
Thanks for your take on the song. I really really appreciate it!!

Peace!

~Shawn

Mike

Yep.... vox are too loud.... and the BGV need some de-essing.... maybe the lead vox too. Thanks Mike!
BY the way... many of the songs I write have that U2 vibe.... I love it, but it only goes so far.... sooner or later you gotta look at something else.... which is hard for me, because I really really like that sound. But I def know where you are coming from.

Peace!

~Shawn

Hey dude,

This song is pretty cool. The Vox are pretty cool. The lyrics are really nice. The drums are a rockin'. This sounds early Petra'ish in addition to all the U2 comparison.... I'd say tho that if it were true U2 sound, you'd need more echo and verb and git FX.

The guitars are pretty cool. Played nice. Does sound early 90s or so. However, you could easily change that (if you want) by raising the bass and making it more teethy. And You might re-record the guitars with a heavier tone. If you wanted to change at all.

Otherwise, every genre and style is worth something to someone. Like the metal may not seem real Christian to some but might really minister to some. So on. Rock on. Keep the Faith. :)

Nice tune. Well played and decently sung. Guitars could be less "thin" but not a big distractions. Vocals to much out in front IMO. Is that really required in the Christian rock genre? If not I would go a different route and let the guitars stand out more. Speaking of which, the little bit of guitar solo was not nearly enough -- I would go with a much longer solo and cut one of the vocal verses.

Really nice song Shawn!
Your voice is anything but horrid.... song's got a very good hookline. Maybe more backing voices with different harmonies on the chorus. I like the drum sound and the guitars sound nice and warm. You play a hybrid amp don't you? So do I..... At the end maybe it should climax a bit more, ad-libs maybe? But anyway, you don't have to listen to me I'm just a singer....
Well done!

Cheers
Joe

Really nice song Shawn!
Your voice is anything but horrid.... song's got a very good hookline. Maybe more backing voices with different harmonies on the chorus. I like the drum sound and the guitars sound nice and warm. You play a hybrid amp don't you? So do I..... At the end maybe it should climax a bit more, ad-libs maybe? But anyway, you don't have to listen to me I'm just a singer....
Well done!

Cheers
Joe

Thanks Joe!
I was thinking about adding a third harmony on there. I'll try it and see!

As far as what amp I use, that's always a toss up. The main rhythm guitars on this one were recorded with an all tube Mesa Boogie Express 5:25, straight in. The little lead lines in the beginning, I don't have a clue what those were recorded with.... but maybe my Vox Tonelab SE, which I dearly love. The short lead break in the bridge was my Line 6 Toneport DI, and Gearbox Gold software. I also have a Crate Palomino V32 I like to use.
Yeah... I wish I enough talent to do ad-libbing with my voice! I guess since I'm at home I could just keep rolling "tape" until I did something worth listening to! :o

Peace!

~Shawn

Had a few listens....first off...your voice is not bad, in anyway! I like your voice...classic sounding. The song also has a classic worship rock feel....it is what your heart heard and you captured it with song.

Love the lead ditty at 2:47.... At 4:57, the lead is in the backgroud making some really nice sound...think you could bring it up a bit? It really needs to be heard...in fact...all through the song, wherever the lead plays, it could be turned up. I don't mean crank it...just a subtle touch to the knob.

I like how the bass sits in the mix with the drums...some more pop to the snare 4:55 to the end would be a livelier outro.

Ride cymbal...it is going on constantly, but it isn't annoying..not to me anyway...has a nice soft sound...good for this song.

I know this is a worship song..but the one thing, I found myself doing all through the listens of the song...was waiting for it to just let go and soar. I know, it's just me...I can't stay grounded long.:D

Nice lyrics too. Kudos Believer!

Maybe you shouldn't listen to me either...cause I don't know for sure, what I am!

I'm just a singer....
Well done!

Cheers
Joe
A singer you are indeedy...:D:cool:

Listening as I type...The guitars are a nice kind of a "wash" filled in by the meaty bass. Especially nice during the chorus. They're a little more static on the verses. Good tone on the lead. The only thing I'd play around with is maybe taking the lead vocals down a hair (maybe).... Overall it sounds excellent....:cool::D:cool::D

i think the guitars could use just a little more crunchy goodness. they sound slightly buried and thin like you said. good mix otherwise.

You did that. Nice job!

YAY!!!!
Thanks, Mr.Strat.

Had a few listens....first off...your voice is not bad, in anyway! I like your voice...classic sounding. The song also has a classic worship rock feel....it is what your heart heard and you captured it with song.

Love the lead ditty at 2:47.... At 4:57, the lead is in the backgroud making some really nice sound...think you could bring it up a bit? It really needs to be heard...in fact...all through the song, wherever the lead plays, it could be turned up. I don't mean crank it...just a subtle touch to the knob.

I know this is a worship song..but the one thing, I found myself doing all through the listens of the song...was waiting for it to just let go and soar. I know, it's just me...I can't stay grounded long.:D

Thanks for the affirmation, and all the great advice. I'll turn the leads up a bit, that will sound better. Maybe do a little EQ on the snare on the outtro.
To make the song build, and "soar," what would you think about a more pronouced build-up in the bridge, and then maybe a modulating key change for the last chorus?? Or, do you have other ideas? I agree it gets a little boring, or maybe just stays too one dimensional. Thanks!

Listening as I type...The guitars are a nice kind of a "wash" filled in by the meaty bass. Especially nice during the chorus. They're a little more static on the verses. Good tone on the lead. The only thing I'd play around with is maybe taking the lead vocals down a hair (maybe).... Overall it sounds excellent....:cool::D:cool::D

Thanks Ido!! Yep, Im gonna bring those vocals down quite a bit I think, as well as add a 3rd harmony vocal, as was suggested earlier.

i think the guitars could use just a little more crunchy goodness. they sound slightly buried and thin like you said. good mix otherwise.

You're prolly right there Mr. Money More cruncy goodness indeed!!

Peace!!

~Shawn

The solo stops WAY TOO suddenly at 2.56 - I felt the need for it to fade under the vocal - hackneyed I know but that was the expectation I had.
the 3rd harmony would be excellent, a modulatio - might be nice but it isn't missing in action.
It would be nice to hear you let go towards the end vocally.
Some more meat to the guitars would be sweet but the bass has meat and potatoes for all in the mix so the gits play their parts quite well.
Nice performances Postshearing.

nice solo.. it's hard to say what I would change but maybe I would have mixed this song a bit more aggressively like a rock song, maybe.. the drums sound a little bit roomy but it's a minor nit.. it sounds pretty good..

Hey dude,

This song is pretty cool. The Vox are pretty cool. The lyrics are really nice. The drums are a rockin'. This sounds early Petra'ish in addition to all the U2 comparison.... I'd say tho that if it were true U2 sound, you'd need more echo and verb and git FX.

The guitars are pretty cool. Played nice. Does sound early 90s or so. However, you could easily change that (if you want) by raising the bass and making it more teethy. And You might re-record the guitars with a heavier tone. If you wanted to change at all.

Otherwise, every genre and style is worth something to someone. Like the metal may not seem real Christian to some but might really minister to some. So on. Rock on. Keep the Faith. :)

Thanks Bubba!

Nice tune. Well played and decently sung. Guitars could be less "thin" but not a big distractions. Vocals to much out in front IMO. Is that really required in the Christian rock genre? If not I would go a different route and let the guitars stand out more. Speaking of which, the little bit of guitar solo was not nearly enough -- I would go with a much longer solo and cut one of the vocal verses.

Thanks Oancient1!!

The solo stops WAY TOO suddenly at 2.56 - I felt the need for it to fade under the vocal - hackneyed I know but that was the expectation I had.
the 3rd harmony would be excellent, a modulatio - might be nice but it isn't missing in action.
It would be nice to hear you let go towards the end vocally.
Some more meat to the guitars would be sweet but the bass has meat and potatoes for all in the mix so the gits play their parts quite well.
Nice performances Postshearing.

More votes for longer solos

nice solo.. it's hard to say what I would change but maybe I would have mixed this song a bit more aggressively like a rock song, maybe.. the drums sound a little bit roomy but it's a minor nit.. it sounds pretty good..

Thanks Sabbath!!

I think all the elements are there in this song, Shawn. Just a little tweaking is in order IMO. The vocals don't need to be louder than the chorus. In fact, I think they should go back in the mix a bit. Just loud enough so we can understand the words. The rhythm git sounds a little compressed or mushy, if that makes any sense.

At first I was thinking James Gang and then they were overtaken by the vocals.

Leads are tasty. You're a good player.

Lead vocal is pitchy and it distracts me. When I find myself doing that, I correct with v-vocal unless I get the time to retrack. But, you can get away with the pitchyness if you come down in volume and let the git wash over them. Make sense?

Notice there is much less pichyness in the chorus where there is harmony. Not that it isn't there, but it doesn't stand out as much.

Not trying to be critical, just pointing out what can easily be fixed.

The drums sound good with the vox because they have the same verb. Not sure if the guitars do or not. After two listens, I think that the gits are dryer than the rest of the mix.

I may be way off, I'm an old fart. I do like the song and feel that it is well worth fixing.

Pretty good mix. I like the guitars. The main vox are a little too loud.

I'm not feeling the kick and snare sound. That snare sounds pretty bad. Sample? The kick has some high-mid click that's kind of unnatural sounding.

The rest sounds pretty good though. Nice job.

Nice song and production -- at times, I was thinking that the vocals could come down a little. I also wanted to hear the backing guitar line come up a little. Very good positive driving rhythm overall.

Back