calling all MOTO 828mk3 experts, HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tweakberry

Hi,

Yes, im holding down the page button while booting the mk3, i have the latest audio drivers, and the latest firmware update app, and no im not smoking that shit anymore!

I really hope someone has an answer to my problem, i really really hate it when i spend good money for something that doesnt work right, this is gonna bug me all weekend, i researched the reviews, and i came here before i even ordered the thing for advice, yes i had reservations because im using windows as there seems to be alot of unhappy windows/828mk3 users at motunation.com, but i took my chances, PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME IM DOING SOMETHING WRONG HERE!!

Heres the story one step at a time:

1. Before i ordered the 828mk3 I bought this firewire card, is has a TI chipset, and it has windows 7 drivers

2. I did a fresh install of windows 7 32-bit, then i got all the windows updates, installed SONAR X1, then installed the FW card, and thats it, everything looked fine, device manager looked happy

3. I got my moto, i installed the latest audio driver v4.04.6150, i connected the motu via firewire, the pc recognized it and installed the drivers, everything looked good

4. i got the motu working in SONAR, everything looked and sounded fine, im getting 2.7ms with waveRT drivers at 128 samples, im a happy camper... so far

5. i download the latest motu updater app 828mk3_v1_06-Win32 to update to firmware v1.06

6. i booted the motu while holding the page button, the motu is in boot loader state, it displays '828 mk3 hybrid boot v1.00'

7. when i launch the updater it says 'there are no devices in update state, boot the mk3while holding the page button', which is just what im doing!

ive been up all night with this damned thing, i cant find any answers on the web, ive uninstalled/reinstalled the audio drivers, and also the FW drivers, ive tried both FW ports on the card and the motu, ive tried it with the USB connection, ive tried compatibility mode for XP SP3 and Vista on the updater app, ive tried running under administrator, ive tried a hardware reset on the motu, ive tried everything i can think of and have no luck updating the firmware, and if i cant update the firmware this thing is outta my life

can you update firmware directly from v1.00 to v1.06?

i'll call moto tech support on Tuesday, ive left a post on motunation.com, but man it sure would be nice if someone had an answer to this now, like i said its gonna bug me all weekend

Thanks,
Tweak

made a motu account,,logged in,,,read stuff...

under
"828mk3 Firewire Firmware v1.06 Updater for 32-bit Windows", filename "828mk3_v1_06-Win32.zip"

It says,

"This update does not apply to the original 828, 828mkII, 828mkII USB or 828mk3 Hybrid. "

seems a lot of work for me, when you'd already been at that page.

as far as i can tell, 1.0 is the current firmware for the hybrid model..

"and if i cant update the firmware this thing is outta my life" <-------why???

Last edited:
made a motu account,,logged in,,,read stuff...

under
"828mk3 Firewire Firmware v1.06 Updater for 32-bit Windows", filename "828mk3_v1_06-Win32.zip"

It says,

"This update does not apply to the original 828, 828mkII, 828mkII USB or 828mk3 Hybrid. "

seems a lot of work for me, when you'd already been at that page.

as far as i can tell, 1.0 is the current firmware for the hybrid model..

"and if i cant update the firmware this thing is outta my life" <-------why???

Dude you are my hero, Ive never been so happy to be a "non-reading the whole statement damned fool!!", YES YES YES WOOHOO!!!!!!!

now i need one of these

WOOOOO-HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good call with that! i mite pick one up for my 828 (mk2)

if u ever need someone to read the manual for you, gimme a shout!!! :P:P

i'm kidding, enjoy!

good call with that! i mite pick one up for my 828 (mk2)

if u ever need someone to read the manual for you, gimme a shout!!! :P:P

i'm kidding, enjoy!

hehe, no problem man im having a beer today dedicated to you

heres a newbie moment for ya... early this morning around 3am im playing with the motu, i turn it on, i start SONAR, i play a drum clip and kaapow!!!, the loudest damn thing ive ever heard since working on the flight line, my wife is up and yelling me, the cats are freaking out, the guinea pigs are shaking, im like WTF, i turn the master down some, i restart the motu, and its back to 0db, i google this morning and read its that way to get the highest resolution from the motu, i cant find the page again to verify again, but that makes some sense to me, is that correct?

here....we all have em!

i only got my motu a few months back and nearly blew my ns10s apart doing the same thing.

listen to music all day at -48db or whatever...come out the next day, turn it on, hit play and wham!!

well, not actually wham.....can't remember exactly, it was probably leonard cohen or david bowie or something...

to answer your question, idk if it's best to have the motu at 0db or not.

For me, i'm gona have to work with the motu volume down cos the pots on my power amp are scratchy around 1-4 or so.
i really should fix that!

here....we all have em!

i only got my motu a few months back and nearly blew my ns10s apart doing the same thing.

listen to music all day at -48db or whatever...come out the next day, turn it on, hit play and wham!!

well, not actually wham.....can't remember exactly, it was probably leonard cohen or david bowie or something...

to answer your question, idk if it's best to have the motu at 0db or not.

For me, i'm gona have to work with the motu volume down cos the pots on my power amp are scratchy around 1-4 or so.
i really should fix that!

just ordered the level pilot, first gear ive ever ordered that been completely grief free and wife-approved!

lol, a year and a half later and i google for a solution and find my old thread, almost forgot about that morning

same issue with my MOTU 828mk3 hybrid, maybe steenamaroo is available again, i dont mind feeling dumb but i need another answer please

ok, this time, i believe i grabbed the correct firmware updater for the 828mk3 hybrid...

"828mk3 Hybrid Firmware v1.01

This program updates the 828mk3 Hybrid firmware to version 1.01. Changes include:

• Adds MIDI Thru feature
• Adds MIDI Thru control under SETUP menu
• Improves Windows USB3 compatibility"

wonderful, ive been waiting for a firmware update, its there if you need it

the updater isnt working for me, Windows 7 64-bit detects the MOTU, it always does, sound works, but the updater says it is not detected, ok so im thinking i must be doing something wrong with putting the MOTU into update mode

firewire is disconnected, usb connected, windows sees the MOTU, i hold the page knob in, i turn the MOTU on, ive tried releasing the knob when i see the boot version, ive tried keeping it down, but the updater app just doesnt detect it, ive 'run as admin', ive put it in XP SP3 mode, ive restarted of course, ive reset the MOTU to factory defaults, i just dont understand why this MOTU isnt being detected and im unable to update

is the 828mk3 supposed to indicate on the display that its in update mode?, because it doesnt

one thing... i have bare-bonesed this system, maybe a service that needs re-enabling?, 'shell hardware detection' is already enabled, along with 'plug and play', and MOTU_ZeroConfig as well, this system has been very stable as far as usage and updating

i do have another PC, fresh restore i suppose i could try the update from that after i install the MOTO audio, but ide kinda like to see it happen from my audio PC as it should, im hoping this is a simple fix, or a simple oversight on my part

anyone have any ideas what im missing here?, i'll call MOTU tech support if i have to but i dont remember if i registered this thing yet, oops my bad :-(

thanks

Hey again.

As far as I know the Motu updater will not see the device unless you have the expected driver version.

If this is new firmware then make sure you have the bang up to date new drivers first.
MOTUSetupAudio55333-1.zip was released in November, apparently.

Let me know if that helps.

Hey again.

As far as I know the Motu updater will not see the device unless you have the expected driver version.

If this is new firmware then make sure you have the bang up to date new drivers first.
MOTUSetupAudio55333-1.zip was released in November, apparently.

Let me know if that helps.

i do have v55333, i check the MOTU site regular so its kind of a bummer here as ive been waiting for a firmware update, not that i think i need it, the unit is solid, but i always like moving past v1.0.0 of anything, i forgot about the MOTUnation site maybe i should have went there first, anyway thanks for replying any ideas throw them my way otherwise i'll be calling MOTU this week, or trying on another PC but like i said before i really want it to work from my audio box, cheers

Oh, that's a shame. Sorry it didn't help.

The only other thing I could suggest is trying from a different computer, or at least a different USB port.

I'm sure you have already, but take any hubs out of the loop; Even take any other usb devices out just to get the job done.

If you have front and rear ports, try both.
It's really all I can think of.

Sorry but if the unit is working, leave the firmware ALONE.

I'm still using the original firmware in my 5-year-old Motu828mkII. Why? Because it WORKS!

Don't muck with something and take the chance of breaking it UNLESS you are having trouble....

thanks Tim, i was considering just that, i just dont really like the idea of leaving something at v1.0.0 either, but it does work and im not using USB3 right now

thanks steenamaroo, tried all that, and i did install MOTU audio on another PC, connected the unit, ran the updater and got the same result, i appreciate your time, now and last year!

can someone answer this though?, this would really help me here

should the unit indicate on the display it is in firmware update mode?

im thinking its not being detected because its not going into update mode, ive never updated MOTU hardware before but you would think something on the display would tell you

anway i may have to call MOTU, i just hate it when simple that should be work, doesnt work, its gonna bug me, and i am registered with MOTU actually i just checked, or i wouldnt have got the updates duhh

anyway thanks all, if i get an answer, and its not me being a moron somehow lol, i will post SOLVED, in work in tech support so i know the value of that, cheers

So now the big question. What have you changed in the last year?

the strings on my bass, maybe that did it lol, i did reset the unit to factory default so my changes on the unit shouldnt matter

that #6 step above i posted last year, dont go by that, i was probably confused then, it always says '828 mk3 hybrid boot v1.00' regardless if i hold the page knob or not, i dont believe i have ever been able to put this thing into firmware update mode successfully, but im not sure because nothing on this unit is indicating to me its in any mode whatsoever

i connect usb, windows sees the motu its making sound, i turn it off, i hold the page knob in, i turn it on, it doesnt matter when i let go of the page knob or continue to hold it in, i have no idea if this thing is in update mode or not, im guessing no, very frustrating i'll be calling MOTU later today and if i find out what the deal is here, again thanks for your time

Back