Calling all Marshall MXL603S owners.

DJL

Self Banned
Hi everyone,

I got a PM from Marik and he told me that the capsule on his Marshall MXL603S unscrews off... anyway, I have a bunch of Marshall MXL603S's and none of the capsules unscrew off of the ones have. So, my question is... do the capsules on your Marshall MXL603S's unscrew off? Thanks

Marik, I have the feeling your the only one with a Marahall MXL603S that has a removeable capsule... when did you get the mic, how long ago? Thanks

Marik, this thread has been read 80 times already... and no one has stated that they have a Marshall MXL603S with a removeable capsule yet... when and where did you get your MXL603S? I want one. Thanks

I just received two MXL 603s's today that both have screw-on capsules. I bought them from a Homerecording member, so I don't know how old they are. They, like the pair I bought over three years ago, have three tiny screws to hold the bottom end piece on, while I think newer ones have a screw-on bottom end (or unscrewable body cylinder, really).

Marik has my two original 603s's. An interesting thing is that one of the old ones has different threads and a different colored (white vs. red) dot on the capsule. Its threads are the same as the likely newer pair that I received today.

I don't understand what you are getting at with this question. You just want to know if anyone else has this mic with a screw-on capsule?

Reactions: XLR
DJ,

Have a really close look for a thin join line about 12mm back from the top of the mic, it can be difficult to see but it is there on the pair I have.

BTW it was when I was having "communication problems" with the seller of these mics here at HR that you got on my wrong side by sticking your nose in further than was either necessary or wanted.........in other words my initial issues with you had nothing to do with AH/PMI.

:cool:

A couple weeks ago I checked 603 in GC. As Nut has already said, they had screw on bottom, and also screw on capsules.

I just checked mine and they unscrew. However, I'm 99% sure the previous set I owned did not unscrew. Glad this came up, otherwise I might not have known.

Well, I'll be. I just checked mine and sure enough, they unscrew. Wow, I wonder if anyone is making omni capsules for these? Wouldn't that be cool?

Blessings, Terry

yep mine unscrew as well. Ok so whats the point? There aren't any other capsules for these are there?
I think i got mine from 8th street almost 2 years ago?

yeah, the capsules on mine unscrew as well. i bought em about a year and a half ago from shreve audio when they were having that 2 for $100 blowout.

i discovered that they unscrew when they got waterlogged last summer at a gig and i needed to dry them out.

omni caps would be nice, but these things have a wide enough cardiod on em that omnis might be slightly redundant. :D i'd rather see hypers, honestly.

wade

mrface2112 said:
...i'd rather see hypers, honestly...
Me too, but that's probably not possible. Notice that when you remove the capsule, the "venting slots" are still on the mic body. These "venting slots" are what makes the mic into a cardioid. Also notice that all the mics with inter-changeable heads have their slots or holes in the head itself, so the pattern always goes with the head.

I suppose omnis might be possible since omnis have a sealed back, but I doubt they'll ever make them for this mic, even if they could.

You could experiment by covering one ring of slots with electrician's tape or something to see if it gets more unidirectional. Don't hold your breath, though. I tried to convert one of my Oktavas to Omni once by covering all the slots and it sounded like crap. Killed every frequency above ~150Hz.

<You could experiment by covering one ring of slots with electrician's tape or something to see if it gets more unidirectional. Don't hold your breath, though. I tried to convert one of my Oktavas to Omni once by covering all the slots and it sounded like crap. Killed every frequency above ~150Hz.>

That exactly what I would expect :D.
Cardioid capsule is a resistance controlled system--diaphragm is tuned at the middle of the band, and then created resonance peak is damped by means of the acoustical resistance created by construction of back plate and acoustic chamber. On the other hand, the omni capsule is stiffness controled system, so it should be tuned to the highest frequency of the band. It is done by
1) Higher diaphragm tension
2) Much smaller volume of acoustic chamber. This effects in similar way as if you blow into bottle--you get nice and deep sound, now pour water into the bottle and try to blow again...

Marik said:
...On the other hand, the omni capsule is stiffness controled system, so it should be tuned to the highest frequency of the band. It is done by
1) Higher diaphragm tension
2) Much smaller volume of acoustic chamber. ...
Yeah, I kind of figured it went something like that after the x'spear-ment. But you know me, I gots to learn the hard way! :p

Thanks everyone... I'll have to re-check mine again when I get back to CA... I hope my 603S's capsules are removeable too. Thanks again everyone.

Back