Calling All Dp Experts...

MikeDMusic

Alright. So i've got this song...and a pretty strong recording of it. The only thing it's lacking is this hand drum part that i can't seem to get right. I've tried it a thousand times and i just can't seem to get it. Now i know that there is a way in DP to quantize audio with DP's beat detection engine. BUT HOW THE HELL DO I DO IT? See i don't even need to hard quantize...i just need something to put the groove a little more in the pocket than it is. Can anybody help me out?

MD :)

I've only played with it a little back in 4.5. I concluded that its ability to scale time had hopelessly poor quality for non-solo instruments, so while it might be good for drums, it wasn't good for piano (which was what I was trying to tweak). Ended up doing it by hand.

Anyway, the basic process was this:

Start by doing a "strip silence" on the hand drum track to get gaps between hits.

Next, you'll need to set the beat detection threshold in such a way that it only picks up the actual beats.

Once you're as close as you can get, you have to manually delete the intermediate beats, IIRC.

Next, IIRC, it quantizes to the click track, so adjust your tempo so that the click track (turn on the metronome) for the section you want to quantize lines up with where the beats are supposed to be.

Finally, quantize the section in question.

Back