Calling all Crayfish!!

okobd

Ok, I finally posted in the songwriting forum and it's really not that good. I probably shoud have waited. I don't want to bother you guys in the mixing clinic, but I know that some of you scan the songwriting forum also, and I'd love to hear what you think of the song. Maybe, If anyone is interested, I'd love to see what I could do equipment wise to clean up bad tracks. I know both will have to be redone by pros or me when I get some talent and knowledge of capo use or key changing etc...But anyway, if you get a chance... just give me a listen, and remember...I know the quality is really really bad. But I truly like the song, and I want to know what people who's opinion I respect think.
The name of the thread is :

Sorry, I couldn't wait any more...
-okobd
(son of BDBDBuck)and Brother to his Kid.....

Thanks for the listen

I just wanted to thank anyone who listened to my song and ask again for comments if you heard it. (In the Songwriting forum under Sorry, I couldn't wait... thread)
Somebody listened, I hit #8, (yea for joe) before I made too much of that I realized that they track unique listens and other than 1st page curiosity, You guys, sonwriting, and the cave are the only people I told. So once again, if you listened, thanks, and what do you think of the song itself, Not the performances or recording quality unless you feel so compelled.
oh, and sorry once again for the non mixing topic.
-joe

Sorry!

Here it is, but be warned I didn't mix it at all, I just saved both tracks in acid and saved it as a new file. I'd love to learn some of your guys tricks to improve sub par performances and recording.
I know both of these tracks need to be redone, but I'd like to learn some of the tricks so when I do it right(capo'd, dynamic/condensing mic, and depth to guitar etc..) I can make it a much better listen. The main reason I posted was to hear what people think of the song in general.
Thanks again,
-okobd

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=3142/singles

huh?

You should learn recording from bdbdbuck.
The good news is that your material is VERY good.
I like your voice, I think........it's hard to hear.
That is the worst guitar sound ever:) :)

Again though the playing is very good and totally suited to the song.
Look forward to hearing more of your music.
Read lots of threads on this site and learn to record:)

Heavy

Thanks! Yeah I'm sure dad's gonna kill me when he here's this one. I just couldn't wait anymore. I appreciate what you said about my playing and voice it means alot to me. I've been trying to stream all night to here your stuff along with some others in the songwriting forum. If I can't get this thing to work I'm gonna wait til Mon @ work. As far as the recording, I did it straight into the back of the computer with the guit, and the vox into a radio shak $12 mike and it shows I know. At least I know I can do it now, so I'll try not to do it anymore.
-oko

Hey Joe,
You need a mic pre-amp, a condensor mic and a decent soundcard man.....
Then you'll be able to get a decent tone ...
What software are you using to record?

"the real" joro-gier :D

joe,

thanks for the input.
i used soundblast to do the recording and acid to put em together.
-oko

Will a Crawdad suffice? Aren't they the same thing? Anyway, the song is pretty cool. I too missed some words, but to me it sounds like early Dylan stuff when he was still being a folkie. (Thats GOOD in my book). What you have here has some definite power to it and it sounds honest. What I hear is a lot of potential in your writing and singing. Have your dad give you a hand with the recording end. All you have to do is keep singing and keep writing. Buy a couple good songwriting books and study that kind of stuff just to grow your perspective and fuel your fires. The more you write, the better you will get so I can't stress enough just writing as often as you can. You are in good territory now, yet I sense a talent which can achieve greatness in the future.

Yep

crawdad said:
Will a Crawdad suffice? Aren't they the same thing? Anyway, the song is pretty cool. I too missed some words, but to me it sounds like early Dylan stuff when he was still being a folkie. (Thats GOOD in my book). What you have here has some definite power to it and it sounds honest. What I hear is a lot of potential in your writing and singing. Have your dad give you a hand with the recording end. All you have to do is keep singing and keep writing. Buy a couple good songwriting books and study that kind of stuff just to grow your perspective and fuel your fires. The more you write, the better you will get so I can't stress enough just writing as often as you can. You are in good territory now, yet I sense a talent which can achieve greatness in the future.

The thread name was intended to get your attention, as the Craw-dad and anyone else, who I bulked together as crayfish. Silly I know.
Thank You soooo much for listening, and I will get dad to record my stuff from now on.(I just had to post something or I was gonna go crazy) -----Dylan?! Now I'm blushing.
Any books in particular(sp) you can think of?
Thanks again, Alot---joe
Thanks again, Joe

I had to crank up the volume to hear it but the Voice and Playing is there, oh youngun of Buck's. As is the songwriting.

As everyone has said, you have the talent and it seems to me that it runs in the family. :D

There's lot of ways to get into recording so keep researching here. I started out about 1 1/2 years ago with a Tascam 414 MKII Cassette 4 Track and then went the PC DAW route using PG Music's PowerTracks Pro Audio 8 and Fasoft's n-Track. In Jan, I bout myself a Fostex VF160CDR DAW because I like to be portable. I use that along with the PC now. That lil Red Box (Fostex MR8) that your Dad and many others are using is amazing, especially for the bux, and some amazing music has been made on them along with the PC.

CR ><>

Joe--I have two book suggestions for you.

1. The Craft Of Lyric Writing by Sheila Davis
2. Writing Better Lyrics by Pat Pattison.

The first is a must have for any songwriters bookshelf and the second will make you see what makes songs work or fail.

A third book you should get is a good songwriter's rhyming dictionary. Always handy for those time when you get stuck!

Thanks, Axe!!

I can't say how much it means to here that coming from you! I usually scan this board at work, late night and I can jam to everyone I'm talking to cause of the highspeed connection. I've been trying all weekend at home, and I'm dieing.
Anyway, I'm sure you're calling me Youngin' and not Young-gun, or you defineately couldn't here that tinny strummin' goin on in the b/g.
As far as the red box, Oh I'm gettin' it!
I'd get the one you mentioned, I think that's the one sissy's got, but dad says that his is battery powered. I get Ideas so much now and just forget them, but if I had that puppy in the car!!!!!!
Look out! You're gonna here alot more bd on that axe of his!
Thanks again,
joe

I'm on it.

crawdad said:
Joe--I have two book suggestions for you.

1. The Craft Of Lyric Writing by Sheila Davis
2. Writing Better Lyrics by Pat Pattison.

The first is a must have for any songwriters bookshelf and the second will make you see what makes songs work or fail.

A third book you should get is a good songwriter's rhyming dictionary. Always handy for those time when you get stuck!

Crawdad, those will go at the top of the list.
I started a thread in the songwriting forum to get some more in case you're interested. Nobody's said anything yet, but maybe they will.
The rhyme thing my dad said somethin about, he said there's one on line. It's funny, my first thought was: That's cheatin!
anyway, thanks.
-okobd

Knowledge is power!

or...a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Actually, I think its the first. I still study this stuff and I've been writing 30 years.

In the right place

crawdad said:
Knowledge is power!

or...a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Actually, I think its the first. I still study this stuff and I've been writing 30 years.

I just typed for 5 minutes and lost the whole thing.
All that to say, I'm gonna get as much info as I can from the people here as I can.

Axe, I got Red horse goin right now, Worth the wait man.
I'm sure you've heard it already, but I'm thinkin Mark Knophler except quicker on the rosewood.
-Awesome
I'm risin' man.
-joe

Decent song I thought. I think the others covered the recording stuff pretty well.

One additional thing I caught was that you overdrove the mic at 1:29 - and almost again at 2:25 (listening further, there are other spots too). Using a mic effectively takes practice. So keep it up.

You also used a rather low MP3 bit rate. Generally, 128 is the minimum to get anything decent sounding, and 192 is common.

Just my thoughts.

just what i wanted!

thanks, triplem

These are the kind of tips I was after. Everyone is being so nice.
I listened to the thing again for the first time last night and thought i was going to throw up.
I'll work on the recording alot and hopefully post a much better version soon.

Joe,
I have to say that it sounds a lot like some of my first attempts. You were maybe a little too anxious to get it posted, but you have already started the learning process. I can hook you up with some of the gear you need as I said last week. Fret not, we'll get you goin! There's a great bunch of folks here to learn from.

bdbdad

Back