Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 different from Sonar

Modus

Zaireeka!
What is the difference between Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and Sonar?
I looked on the Cakewalk site and I couldn't find anything about Pro Audio 9, or maybe I'm just not seeing it. Weird wild stuff.
I'm unfamiliar with both programs and I'm trying to decide what software I want to get and learn, so any bit of advise would be grrrreat! Thank you so very much, and upon answering may you be blessed with the gift of whistling in perfect tone and tune.

modus

Pro Audio 9 is old and dated... I would recommend Sonar 2. It's the way of the future! ;)

If you buy a computer for the first time, I'll bet you wouldn't install Windows 3.11 on it, would you?

Let us know a little about your computers specs and how you plan to record,it's possible you could get by with a lesser Cakewalk software like homestudio while you get your recording chops down.
If you plan on just recording by yourself homestudio would be perfect and with the money you save you could get a better soundcard or other gear.

I don't think you can still purchase Pro Audio 9 (unless you get it off e-bay or something like that). PA9 was an earlier incarnation of Sonar. In fact, you could think of Sonar as Pro Audio 10 or 11. However, 12 Tones (the manufacturer) felt it was sooooo revolutionary, they decided to rename it.

As Acidrock said, your choice should really more between Sonar and something like Home Studio. However, a lot depends on what you plan to do with it. Let us know what you are planning on recording, and we can probably give you some decent advice on how to go.

However, 12 Tones (the manufacturer)...

Actually, dachy, the company name was changed to Cakewalk a few years ago because the name had caught on so well but nobody remembered the name Twelvetone Systems.

You could always start with home studio and then upgrade to sonar at a later date..., I could be wrong, but in the long run I think you wind up paying less for sonar that way....

...just a thought.

Thanks guys

I will be mostly recording vocals and acoustic guitar and eventually electric bass, I do most of my drum stuff and bass on Fruity Loops. I use a cheap Behringer mixer an ART tube mp pre and a Behringer b-1 (yes I know the b-1 sucks but I tell you, it makes one hell of a potato masher for Thanksgiving) and the first microphones I plan to buy are a pair of the Oktava 012's for guitar and i'm getting a RNC compressor. I'm looking at the Aardvark 24/96 sound card which comes with the Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. I plan on building a computer around the card and software but right now I'm just reasearching as much as I can and I'm saving money in the mean time. So that will be my setup for a while before I start to buy again.

For the past few years I have been recording in Acid Pro and then using Cool Edit mainly for editing and effects stuff and it seems to me that Acid probably sucks compared to a lot of the other programs that are out there. So I'm just seeing if I need to upgrade to a newer version (Sonar). I will have to add that to the price. With how popular cakewalk is it seams they are doing something right, so I'm very interested in this program.
Thanks for all your replies and Happy whistling. (flight of the bumble bee.. GO!)

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving to (sorry canada)

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

Since you apparently are getting PA9 for free, I would start with that. It's a good application, and will give you a good foundation for Sonar.

My guess is that Cakewalk will be issuing Sonar version 3.0 sometime next spring or summer. Cut your teeth on PA9, and if you are still going strong by then, upgrade to Sonar.

my cats blessing....

Modus, you were right about replying to this message and being blessed to whistle. My cat had recently snuck into my room and logged on to this site, Now all she does is whistle ....... weird.

Anyway,
SONAR gets my vote.

Washburn21

Back