Cakewalk Home Studio 7

fendermustang

Hello,

New to Cakewalk so here goes. Figured out how to save the patches to the individual tracks, but am having no luck accessing the drum sounds. The drop down menu shows Roland and Yamaha drum patches. Can these be accessed??

Thanks Guy's

You can only access sounds that you have available. Cakewalk includes a large set of different instrument definition files so you don't have to manually set up the patch list and such if you have one of the devices they've predefined. But just using the definitions from XYZ synth won't do you any good if you don't have the XYZ synth sitting there patched in through MIDI cables to your PC.

You didn't mention what your sound source is. Is it a soundcard? More than likely the standard General MIDI (GM) instrument definitions will work for you. In that case you need to assign MIDI Channel 10 to the track that you want the drume to be on.

Thanks AlChuck. I am using a entry level casio Pr something as a midi controller. Are you saying that I am hearing sounds that are in the Casio or onboard in Cakewalk. I was under the impression they are in Cakewalk. There are one or two drum sounds in the drop down menu but not a real selection. I need snares, cymbals ect.What about the patches it shows on the drop down menu
I have a FB-01 sound module. Can I use the sounds from that module in Cakewalk. If so how do you do it. Also why are drums on channel 10?
Sorry for all the repetive questions. Trying to learn thia software. Thanks for the help

D

There are no sounds in Cakewalk. The sounds are either on a soundcard on board the PC, or on an external synth that you can connect to via a MIDI interface. Cakewalk only has the descriptions of which sounds reside at which patch number, and only for those instruments that they've written a definition file for. Cakewalk only records and sequences MIDI messages and digital audio. You have to have something to make the actual sounds.

If you hook the FB-01's MIDI In (assuming it has one) to the MIDI Out of the computer's MIDI interface (assuming it has one) with a MIDI cable, and assign the port settings of the individual tracks to the MIDI Out port, yes, you can certainly use the FB-01 with Cakewalk.

The drums are addressed through Channel 10 as a General MIDI standard (it might not be so on the Casio). The way GM sets up drums is, you use Channel 10; the GM-compatible synth has drumkits assigned to channel 10. The individual parts of the kit -- the kick, the snare, the ride, etc. -- are assigned to individual note values, not separate individual patches. I forget which notes correspond to which part of the kit, but let's say the C below middle C is the kick, the D one whole-step above is the snare, etc. If this track is assigned to Channel 10 of a GM-compliant synth, these notes will trigger these sounds. If it is assigned to any other channel, then you can choose a patch like Glockenspiel and the notes will now trigger the C and D pitches of the glockenspiel.

-AlChuck

That helps alot. I want to thank you for all the info. New to this cakewalk as you can tell. I'm more a musician trying to learn the computer aspect of music. It can be intimidating for sure. Will have to read read read. Any more info to share please feel free..

Thanks again

That's what we all did, read read read, then plugged something in, scratched our heads, read some more... finally started to get with it after, like, years...

(A bit of an exaggeration, but it does take time to absorb something new, for sure.)

Good luck.

Back