Cakewalk Guitar Studio?

douglas

I posted this message to the Cakewalk forum and no one answered....so I thought I would try to post the message here as well.

I am just starting out to get into recording and saw an advertisement for Cakewalk Guitar Studio. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with this software? Are there any issues or problems that I should be aware of?
Most importantly, would it serve as a good introduction into pc-based recording?
Thanks!...douglas

Thanks for the great input and advice. I downloaded that Hammerhead software and it isn't too bad. I just started playing around with it, so I am not certain how much it can to, but it seems like it has potential. Is it possible to create a drum track/loop that you can record? Does it save the drum tracks as .WAV files or something?

While I was at that site you recommended to download Hammerhead I spotted the n-Track software. Have you used it? For $35US it seems like a good deal.Have you used or had any experience with it?

Regarding POD...I read the review on this site as well as some other sites and it does appear to be a device that can bestow near-godlike stature to all that touch its kidney shaped shell. In fact, my wife has been bugging me about an idea for a 10th anniversary gift and this might just be the ticket. I do have a question...other than being a Direct-In/Recording box, it also appears to be a multi-effect unit. Is that true?

Thanks again...you have been a great help!
...douglas

[This message has been edited by douglas (edited 07-13-1999).]

i personally, wouldn't mess with any cakewalk stuff for guitar. if you're serious about doing guitar with a pc, i'd say pod and hammerhead are the first things you want. pod is a digital direct box that sounds great and hammerhead is a soft synth drum machine...i paid $300 for pod and hammerhead is a free download....you can easily jam with these two things and if you want to record something, and you will if you learn how to use pod and hammerhead, all you need is a full duplex sound card and a little smarts about getting a good recording level.....you can probably find some software for mixing wav files for free on the internet, though i haven't tried to find any myself....if you happen to use a mac, amp farm from line six is the way to go with digital guitars...... :)

hammerhead will export to wav, as will fruity loops, a similar program..however, fruity loops costs a little for a registered version...both will allow you to load your own sounds if you don't like what they come with....if you use acid or something that does multitrack looping you can arrange loops made in hammerhead or fruity loops into a 'song' or something. i believe that n-tracks has a looping feature. so you could arrange drum tracks with it and overdub whatever....

unless you're really into cranking amps and playing with microphones, pod is the only real way to go for direct guitars....it has sixteen classic amp sounds and various effects. there is nothing else like it on the market right now.

if you want to multitrack with a low dollar sound card , you might consider a cheap mixer cause you can use it as a patch bay.

feel free to write me. :) :) :) :) :)

[This message has been edited by nero (edited 07-14-1999).]

Back