Cakewalk and Firewire Experiences

Sash

I have an older Roland hard disk recorder and I also use Sonar. The Roland unit needs updated but I would rather get out of the stand alone units and move all of my recording to the computer.

My Roland unit limits me to 8 tracks of simultaneous recording and I would like to be able to do more with the computer. Plus editing on the Roland is terrible compared to Sonar and the Roland compresses the data.

If it gets too pricey I could live with 8 simultaneous tracks (and still sync to the Roland if I had to) but 8 would be a minimum for me. It would be nice to have SPDIF too.

I have been looking at firewire interfaces and was interested in how well they work with Sonar.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I have used a Tascam 1804, an RME Fireface 800, and am currently using a Presonus Firepod, and all of them worked just fine in Sonar. I always used the ASIO drivers, so I'm not sure about WDM, but it was all good in Sonar. Hope that helps.

Yes this helps as I now have a few different models to check out.

The presonus looks nice for the price. How many different inputs can you run at once?

Sash said:
Yes this helps as I now have a few different models to check out.

The presonus looks nice for the price. How many different inputs can you run at once?

Presonus Firepod has 8 Mic Preamps built in that can be used in parallel. 2 of these have Line level inputs that can be used in their place.

I believe you are limited to 8 simultaneous inputs for tracking, though you can daisy chain a second pod to the first and double that.

Back