CAD M37 discontinued.. maybe renamed?

Tim Madorma

Hi,

I went on CAD's WEB site to look up something regarding the M37 and saw it was discontinued. Then I went on 8th street music and saw that it was not longer there either, but the M177 is now a cheaper than it used to be - it is now $158.95 with the MZM-5 Elastic shock mount (which isn't pictured). Then I read the following: "The M177 features a single pattern version of the original Equitek E-300 capsule". Now, as I review back through the posts, it seems that the M37 was really an M177 with a single pattern version of the E-300 capsule. So, I am wondering if the *new* M177 with reduced price is really the same thing as the discontinued M37 (which was selling for $119.00). Anyone know? Maybe the M177 capsule hasn't changed.

I was under the impression that they're the same mic.

The M-37, I believe, was a special version of the 177 sold exclusively by Guitar Center at one point.

Here's a post I made in early 2003:
I questioned tech support at CAD about the M37 vs the M177 with the following response:

"The circuit boards and electronics are the same. Besides the physical appearance, the capsules are different. Quality control is the same. We purchase the capsules from a vender and the actual thickness of the polymer is not speced for my use. It (M37 capsule) is the same version that was used in the E300 with just the front side."

So the mics may sound a bit different.

Go figure.

Looks like my hunch was probably right.

After reading crazydoc's response, it looks like the M177 may now be the old M37. BTW, I bought mine because of the recommendation of chessrock for a budget LD condensor and I am really glad I did. I know it isn't great, but does a good job for the $. I have gotten good results - even when I compared it to some other more expensive mics like the AT 4033 or the AKG C3000.

BTW, I'll plug chessrock and say that the vocals sound very good on his recordings (even though he does not use the M37 as a primary vocal mic - I figured he must know what he was talking about).

Also, when I have enquired, the M37 was made in USA (I like buying domestic products). Also, if you go to the CAD site at: http://www.cadmics.com/m37.htm it says "Made in USA" right under the microphone.

Tim <><

Hrm...and it says on the website that the M37 has a 1" diaphragm while the M177 and M179 say 1.1"...

The price change actually happened sometime toward the end of last year. There are a couple guys that sell the M179 for about the price you see the 177... (frontendaudio comes to mind...)

If you want my guess (and this is just a guess):

CAD might have looked at their new M housings and circuitry and all the capsules they were getting from China for their GXL series mics and said...why not combine the two? We'll call it the M37 and M39 and strike a deal with Mars Music to sell these things...

Does anyone have an M37...possibly compare the capsule to the GXL2400, (which if I remember properly is basically a Marshall V67)?

(Argh! I would link to the press release regarding the M37 and M39 and Mars but it looks like archive.org is down...)

vocal recorded with AT 4033 and M37, any difference?

Sklathill, I noticed that about the diaphragm size difference too. I don't think many see the GXL series as being favorable though and they seem to like the M37. Here is a response I got from CAD, but he does not mention the capsule:

The M37, M177 have a max SPL of 143dB with pad on. The CAD177 is our label and the M37 is one we labeled for Guitar Center. The GA M37 is now available to anyone. The specs on these 3 mics are all the same. The circuit boards in all 3 are the same.

To compare the M37 to the AT 4033 (which is a known good mic), here is a recording ("The End") that I recorded the vocal with a borrowed AT 4033 and then had to give it back. I then punched a bad section with my CAD M37 and didn't even change the EQ. See if you can tell where ;o)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/blindingskystudiosmusic.htm

Well, it can't be the same if the sizes are different. :) :) :) Maybe I'll give them a call...

I don't suppose anyone has some M39s out there, but I can take some pictures of my M179...if I can figure out how to take off the grille. Damn that next-generation computer aided design! O_O!

I don't think the GXL2400 or the GXL1200 are that bad. The 2200, though...

Back