Cad M179

teainthesahara

I just read a review on SOS stating that the CAD m179 was pretty close to the AT4050. I've never used either mic, but I've heard vocal tracks done with the 4050, and i dig em. I've got a hunch that there's a bit of hype behind the claim that the 4050 and 179, but for those of you who have used either or both of these mics - what's your take on it? How are they similar or different?

They are both sitting right here and the At 4050(borrowed) gets used more. The CAD is wonderful at that price point and when I return the 4050 I won't go out and get one because I own the CAD and for what my use is, it is just fine. A great sounding mic. Is it as good as the 4050? Ask Han if his Marshall 77 is as good as a Neumann. In my opinion, shure! (er...sure)

The M-179 is an outstanding value at it's pricepoint. Similarly, the 4050 is an outstanding value at it's price point. I have both, and the 4050 get's a lot more use, but I wouldn't cry or anything if all I had available were the 179.

Hey guys. I don't mean to hijak the thread, but since the CAD was mentioned, I was wondering if anyone knows how the m179 stacks up against the SP B3? I have a B1 that I'm pretty happy with and was looking at these two as another possible purchase.

Glad to hear the plugs for the CAD.

I just got That_abbots M179 today..... extremely well packaged and with the blank warrantee card!!..... cant wait to ring it out tomorrow.

I listened to it a lot on TheListeningSessions and it really stood out to my ears.

Might just have to pick up another one if I really like it.

-mike

I have a B3 and a recently purchased M179.
I have done comparisons on acoustic guitar and drum overhead.
The M179 seems a little more transparent (less colored) than the B3.
The M179 sits back a little more in the upper mids than the B3. It's still got high end, but less of the harsh upper mids.
This seems to give the CAD a little more smoothness on cymbals.
The Cad brings out more snare and toms in relation to the cymbals, too.
Really puts some meat on the toms. Nice on overheads!

On acoustic guitar they are both nice. The CAD sits back a little again.
I think I still prefer the presence of the B3 here.

Just my 2¢
YMMV

Back