CAD M179 or AT4040?

Punce

Which one would win in a fight? :D

I'm looking for a mic in this price range that would compliment a baritone male singer and acoustic guitar. The only weapon I have at the moment is a SM57.

I almost decided to go for the StudioProjects C4 matched pair purely for the acoustic guitar, but would one of these not be all that great purely for vocals?

The room I'm currently recording in is not the best as you can hear the BIG trucks when they pass from time to time!!!! But will be moving out soon thank goodness.

Thanks

PS - It wil be going straight into a Digi 002.

Punce said:
I almost decided to go for the StudioProjects C4 matched pair purely for the acoustic guitar, but would one of these not be all that great purely for vocals?

No, the C4's have been good when I've used them for acoustic guitar, and piano (just finished recording some), but are really not suited to vocals. As always, there may be SOMEBODY out there who would sound good through one but in general they would sound pretty bad!

Do you know what your new room is going to be like?

thanks. no i'm currently looking for a new place, but i'm looking at 'out-of-town' areas.

So you reckon that the 4040 would be better than the M179 in cardioid mode?

...and obviously if you can think of a better option in that price range, I'm all ears ;)

It depends. I think the 4040 is a better overall vocal mic (And a GREAT mic for male vocals), but I personally HIGHLY value the ability to tweak between subcardioid and hypercardoid for whatever voice of the day...

I'd get both, but the M179 just rocks the quality-price ratio.

spot on, thanks for the splurge!

I think I'll go for the M179 this time. The cheapest I've found the M179 in the UK is £149 at andertonsonline. I could get it for about £100 from US, but 8thstreet do not deliver to UK :(

I think you'll be happy with the M179. It's a very quiet mic and with all the different pattern options you can do quite a bit with it. I haven't really used it as a vocal mic, I use my AT3035 or V67G, but I use it for my acoustic guitars and it sounds pretty good to me, especially more towards the omni setting. I've thought about picking up another one so I can have two.

Back