CAD M177 currently $99 at MF

scrubs

Not of sound mind
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-M177-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone-?sku=271266

I have the M179 and frequently recommend it as a fairly neutral & versatile inexpensive condenser. The M177 is the cardioid only version. While the extra patterns are nice, this mic is a great deal.

I have no affiliation with CAD or Musician's Friend and would have posted this in the Ads section, but questions about cheap condensers are pretty common, so hopefully some folks will see this before the special is over.

Yeah a great microphone.
I've seen them as low as 99 before. I bought a pair a while back. Great for LDC overheads.

I had one of these for a while about 6-7 years ago. I found it to be kind of thin sounding, but then again that could have owed to the crappy pres and other gear i had at the time, or not having a clue as to how to really use it.

kojdogg said:
I had one of these for a while about 6-7 years ago. I found it to be kind of thin sounding, but then again that could have owed to the crappy pres and other gear i had at the time, or not having a clue as to how to really use it.

The M177 or the GXL-3000?

I had a m179 for a while (kind of wish I still had it). I thought it sounded dull at first but never thin. My perception of bright/dull was impaired at the time due to owning another chinese made condenser with exaggerated highs. I think the m179 is a good bang for the buck mic, just as most others will say around here. If the m177 sounds just like it minus the extra pickup patterns, $99 is a good deal. The m179 can be had for $149 on ebay.

Or get the M179 multi-pattern off ebay with a shockmount for $149, as TravisinFlorida stated above.

jonnyc said:
Seems like a deal, and this is just a shameless 2000th post, ignore it. :D :eek:
party time.
partytime.jpg

new to the condenser mic and the M177 - I just got it today.. I need someone to answer this question? no laughing please - what is the rubberish holder around the mic - is that a shock mount? then when do you use it and when do you use the other attachment that came with it... I bought it for vocals and OH for drums..

thanks in advance..

dwkman0117 said:
new to the condenser mic and the M177 - I just got it today.. I need someone to answer this question? no laughing please - what is the rubberish holder around the mic - is that a shock mount? then when do you use it and when do you use the other attachment that came with it... I bought it for vocals and OH for drums..

thanks in advance..

The big spider-webbish thing is the shockmount. In general, use it unless the placement of the mic in a tight space won't allow it. The shockmount will better isolate the mic against vibrations from the floor, etc. than the clamp mount.

For the M177 - what is the best position for recording vocals - do you hang the mic down on a boom or an up angle - since the sides of the mic are the input area - so to say...

I got two for 90 dollars, the price seems to have jumped up 10 the past day or so. Mine came with shockmounts.

As for quality...These are awesome...I can stick one in front of a guitar cab about a foot back, matching the angle of the slant of the upper portion of the cab, and get a really accurate representation of how my guitar actually sounds. It reproduces my voice well too...Most other budget condensers make my already strident voice even more piercing and it defeats the fact that I've been training my voice to have more cut to it over the past year. The M177 just works. I think there's actually a drop at 4k and 7k. That makes this a good choice for loud singers.

I hardly have to EQ anything I record with this mic if the source is good.

OH, plus...The 10db pad puts the SPL a decibel under the Audix D6...You can use this as a kick mic...It works splendidly on bass cabs too!

I'm done, but seriously...If you can afford it, I recommend everyone buys one of these. If this is any example of the quality CAD can put out, I'm probably going to buy one of their Trion ribbons as my first ribbon mic sometime this year.

mrhotapples said:
I got two for 90 dollars, the price seems to have jumped up 10 the past day or so. Mine came with shockmounts.

As for quality...These are awesome...I can stick one in front of a guitar cab about a foot back, matching the angle of the slant of the upper portion of the cab, and get a really accurate representation of how my guitar actually sounds. It reproduces my voice well too...Most other budget condensers make my already strident voice even more piercing and it defeats the fact that I've been training my voice to have more cut to it over the past year. The M177 just works. I think there's actually a drop at 4k and 7k. That makes this a good choice for loud singers.

I hardly have to EQ anything I record with this mic if the source is good.

OH, plus...The 10db pad puts the SPL a decibel under the Audix D6...You can use this as a kick mic...It works splendidly on bass cabs too!

I'm done, but seriously...If you can afford it, I recommend everyone buys one of these. If this is any example of the quality CAD can put out, I'm probably going to buy one of their Trion ribbons as my first ribbon mic sometime this year.

Your right this is a great mic especially for $90. I bought the GXL3000 and the M177. I think even without multiple patterns the M177 is still a much better mic. I have 5 different model of the CAD line and they are all a better
bang per buck than any other mic I have. I hate to say if but it might even sound better than my AT4040, seems much more transparent while being extremely quiet. I think my next mic purchase will be the M9.

Back