Cad Kbm412

terrible_buddhi

can you really beat this for $49.99?

I need to get a kick drum mic, and all the $ I have put into the building of the studio has set me back...what do you think?

ok, now keep in mind i have never tried the kbm412, but i have a 411, which is CADs general percussion mic.

i got it for $15. and to tell you true, it isnt as nice as an sm57. but it isnt bad. it has a nice semi-shock mount clip, its easy to position. and it is cheap.

from this experience, i have a feeling that the sbm412 will be decent enough to use for a while. heck, it is $50. sell it to me in a year for $30? then it only cost you $20 to use a kick drum mic for a year? can you beat that?

terrible_buddhi said:
can you really beat this for $49.99?

I need to get a kick drum mic, and all the $ I have put into the building of the studio has set me back...what do you think?

i use the KBM412 as a floor tom mic. its very effective there as I purchased it for that purpose only. (it allows my 14" floor tom to sound like a big 16/18")

for fun (I guess!) I compared it with my audix D6 on my 22" birch kick, just to see how the thing even sounded on a kick drum. it really wasnt bad! with a bit eq later I was able too scoop out the mids a bit and it could've been very usable on kick. ( certainly the D6 has a bigger thud and nicer highs) but the CAD was suprisingly low and could be tweaked as I said. also, if and when you get a better kick mic you could use the KBM on floor tom very effectively.

good luck

I've got one.

It's worth about what you pay for it...I got mine in a set with 4 of the 411's, 2 cheap SDC's (that I've NEVER used), and the 412.

It's functional...certainly not outstanding, and won't make anyone sell their PG52's or D112's, but it gets the job done. I did a crappy job of placing mine on the last CD I did, on a set of drums that wasn't tuned worth a damn, and still got an OK sound.

Back