cad e200 & e300

dragnalus

greetings. i am in the process of building a decent studio set up from the ground up, piece by piece, as i'm sure 80% of the people on here are. anyway, i'm at the point where i want to spend $200-300 on a decent ld condenser (new fucking concept, huh?). i know the c1 and 3035 are great and all that jazz, but i've been seeing these cads go for fairly cheap on ebay lately, have heard decent things about them, and they do seem to have more features than most other mics in this price range. also, i haven't heard of them being from the same low-brow lineage as nady, marshall etc. so, if anyone has actually used either of these mics or know someone who has (THESE mics, not other cads), i would really appreciate yr input as to sound quality, character, etc.

CAD E 200

FWIW>>>

THe CAD E 200 is one of the most acurate mics I have used (for a large dia). It sounds very flat accross all freq's up to the freq's I can't hear.

It has a 10dB pad, bass roll off, internal battery or phantom powered, and multi pattern functions.

What most people don't like is: that they are so flat, compared to others.

What I like is: that they are so flat compared to others.

IE the V67 has a bump in the freqs that make vocals sound great. But it has some limited uses because of it. THe E200 does not, so I use a combination of PRE's and Comps and EQ to achive a tonal ballance for vocals, then use the same mic on a guitar cab, or kick, with a different combo of pre/comp/eq. Then use the same mic on a string quartet...etc.

This means you can't always just open the mic up on the board and get a great sound with out tweeking it. But its never to harsh, to bassy, boomy or whatever compared to others.

Many people have large mic closets so they can try different combos for a particular use. For those who can't afford a ton of mics, buy a few good ones and let your ears and equipment do the rest.

I comapred this to a ROde NT2 (I think..can't remember now). With the exact same settings and all the normal stuff we do to compare mics: The Rode (flat) sounded better on vocals, but with a few turns of the knobs I could beat the sound with the CAD. On overheads the Rodes seemed exagerated in the mids the CAD was nice and clean..............

YOu get the idea,
Joe

I can tell you all about the Equitek E-350. The E-300 microphone is an older model & the E-350 is the updated version of this particular series. This E-350 is a wonderful microphone for any purpose, in fact one of the most versatile large condensers I have come across. Quite open, transparent, rich & full sounding. It paints a big sonic portrait of the sound source. I've used this microphone on my Martin 000 acoustic guitar with fabulous results. Saxophone tracks were souful and sat in the mix with no additional EQ. Electric guitar amplifier/cabinet mic'ing is also equally impressive.

Vocals really sounded great with little or no EQ. The CAD microphones are known for their extremely flat frequency response and reasonable street price. Incredible bang for the buck & overall you cannot go wrong with this one! The E-350 offers a wide array of cut controls, pads and three polar patterns [cardioid, onmi and figure eight]. Bottom line? If I had to pick between the E-200 or E-350 I'd go with the E-350 every time [even though the E-200 is a good all rounder as well]. Hope this helps you.:)

Re: CAD E 200

Joe E said:
The CAD E 200 is one of the most accurate mics I have used (for a large dia). It sounds very flat across all freq's up to the freq's I can't hear.

It has a 10dB pad, bass roll off, internal battery or phantom powered, and multi pattern functions.

Joe
Actually, the CAD E-200 is not a large diaphragm condenser mic; it consists of two Primo 1/2" cardioid electret capsules, back to back. It was a pretty damn clever design, if I do say so myself.

Thanks Harvey, I was just about to jump in with that :D

dragnalus, If you want to hear some examples of the E200 on alto and soppy sax, go to Dave Duffus . Dave's a good mate of mine, and a great player. The preamp used is simply a channel in a Yamaha 02R.

enjoy,

Mark

Thanks Harvey

Thats obviously why its acurate for a large dia. Because it is not. Ha ha ha

I really enjoy the mic.

Yup, that's it. The Cad E-200, with 2 Primo 1/2" electret cardioid elements, based on a design I came up with for International Music Company in Fort Worth for their Ross division, back in 1988.

Back