Cad E-200 vs NT-2 vs AT4050

Sage

Hi Microphone Experts,

I'm wanting to add a large diaphram condenser to my recording tool kit. My local sound folks (Santa Cruz, CA) loaned me a Cad E-200 and an Audio Technica 4050 (supposed to be like a 4030 but switchable), which I also compared to a small diaphram and a pzm. I tried a wide array of instruments and vocals. For my ears, the Cad E-200 was usally a bit more clear and clean than the 4050. Also, I don't have easy access to a Rode NT-2, so I'm wondering how that compares to a E-200.

I may just get the E-200 because it seems like a great mic, but since I haven't seen them mentioned in this forum I'm wondering about them. Are there problems with the E-200 that I should know about. I see the Octavia is often recommended, but since it's high cut-off is 16kHz, I thought it wouldn't be as good to catch some crispy high percussion and flute stuff that I do. What do ya think?

Thanks for all the great info all of you share on this site.

Sage

I have an E-200 and have no complaints. I've used it to mic amps, acoustics, vocals, and kick drums. It's db pad is very useful for the kick. Only drawback so far is the stand adaptor; damn thing will never stay where I want it.

Lots of folks swear by the NT-2, though. I've never used one so I really can't compare. The E-200 has been pretty sweet, though.

Thanks DALtune for the positive comments on the E-200. I'd like to try the NT-2 and the E-200 side by side. Anyone out there have any more comments about either one? They are both advertised for around $400.

Recording Engineer. The Octava MC319 is the one you're usually recomending, so that's the one I was thinking of.

Yeah... I sure wouldn't recommend the Oktava MC319 for percussion and I usually prefer a small diaphragm condenser on flutes.

Also, in comparison with the characteristics and max. price range of the other mics you've listed, I'd personally go for the Oktava MC012 w/ the RTT M1 from the Sound Room.

Back