Cables-signal loss with long cables

Canobliss

I need to buy some longer cables. I need about 30 ft. Monster cables have 30ft cables in their P500 models and Mogami has 50ft in their gold models for the same price.
I have always been happy with mogami and the extra length may come in handy but will cables that long 50 vs 30ft have any signal loss?

Well the 25 ft cables im using are barely long enough. They are very snug and i am afraid someone will trip over it and take down my mic. I have a good size room and the way it is set up the cables have to a couple of twists and turns. I only need the long ones for a vocal mic, running into the booth, and maybe for a stereo pair.

yeah, no need to worry. The only real difference in sound will be the slight phase shift you get from running your signal through a longer run of cable. Even with that in mind, it will only cause problems if you have other mics recording the same source with a significantly shorter or longer length of cable. The phase shift between two sources could be bad, or it could be good. I try to keep my cable runs the same length though so all of the phase shifting is controlled by mic placement alone.

mkeene said:
yeah, no need to worry. The only real difference in sound will be the slight phase shift you get from running your signal through a longer run of cable. Even with that in mind, it will only cause problems if you have other mics recording the same source with a significantly shorter or longer length of cable. The phase shift between two sources could be bad, or it could be good. I try to keep my cable runs the same length though so all of the phase shifting is controlled by mic placement alone.

LOL.

You don't have to worry about that at all. You'll never hear any phasing from different length cables, even if you use a 1 footer and a 300 footer. You'd need a hundred miles difference or so to notice.

If you use a 10 footer and a 100 footer, 4/10000 (.0004) of an inch in mic placement is all you need to compensate for the difference in cable length. That's half a human hair. Not even worth thinking about, unless it just makes you feel better to use the same length cables.

Last edited:
Balanced lo-z mic cables carry signals happily for hundreds of feet, Hi-Z unbalanced (guitar cable) is a different story. I'd stay under 50ft with those.

BAM, Bump...what ever...no worries...except with all that extra cable laying around, someone might trip over it :)

Back