Cable Storage/Organization Method?

Drumz519

So, the live venue at my college campus is being renovated and I'm looking for a new XLR cable storage/organization method besides piling them all into a bin. Or maybe that's just it. How does everyone else store their cables? How do you coil them so that they don't get mixed in with others? Thanks!

xlr

I wrap them with the flow if you understand what I mean, and I have a bunch of hooks on the wall for them.

yup same here, lots of hooks on the inside of a cupboard. I also got those velco straps that tie on to the cable, so after you wrap it up all nice you put the strap around it to stop them getting tangled with the other cables

Velcro cable ties on all leads and I made a rack using approx., 3/4" diameter dowel (broom handle) cut to 1' lengths and set into a length of 3"x1", screwed it to the wall and all cables are easily reached whenever they're needed.

:cool:

Use cable ties to turn them into a loop. Then some combination of the following:

• Use rubber-coated metal garage hooks from Home Depot/Lowes/Wal Mart that screw into the wall. Hook the cables over the hooks.
  • Use velcro cable ties wrapped around the bars of a wire rack.
  • Use velcro cable ties fastened to the wall.

Velcro cable ties on all leads and I made a rack using approx., 3/4" diameter dowel (broom handle) cut to 1' lengths and set into a length of 3"x1", screwed it to the wall and all cables are easily reached whenever they're needed.

And you can also use this set up to play quoits/hookey when you get bored... Ausrock is a recognised master in this field... :D

Hey Armi,

Just as well I can't go back and edit all those posts where I've said nice things about your albums :D:D..............anyways, how are things down at the bum end of the F3?

The over-under is the industry standard. Here's a video demo.
http://stagecraft.theprices.net/gallery/cablewrap/cablewrap-qt.html

Personally I prefer to have the tieline on the female end, as the male end plugs into the mic, and I don't like tieline or velcro on the end of the mic- it looks bad. I also don't plug the connectors together.

As far as storage, it comes down to available space. If it's tight, bins are great. If you have the room, a wall with dowels is cool, with each spot marked for different cable lengths. You'll still want a bin or rolling cart to transport to and from stage.

Tieline is the best for heavy-use and abuse situations like colleges, where the stagehands are likely to be untrained and unskilled. Velcro just doesn't hold up.

You'll want some way to mark the cables with length and "Property of XXXUniversity". Many cable makers will put labels on for a small charge. Radio Shack sells these great cable markers with a space to write info on.

I bought a silver Sharpie and marked the length of each cable on both ends so I wouldn't be unraveling and reraveling cables that are too short for what I might need at any given moment.

I also keep an inventory on my computer of the extra cables I have and update it occasionally. That saves me from wasting time looking for cables I don't have. Sometimes you know you have a certain cable, but if it's already in use you might wind up wasting a lot of time looking in the bins.

Hey Armi,

Just as well I can't go back and edit all those posts where I've said nice things about your albums :D:D..............anyways, how are things down at the bum end of the F3?

Like your new avatar Aus... hey, I was being nice... being the world quoits champion is no mean feat!

Pretty good thanks... although I'm not in Newcastle, as you're suggesting, I'm in Sydney, remember... 'bum end' my arse... oh yeah, that was another thread where that came up, wasn't it!

I have a weekend ahead from from distractions... might actually sort some of my recording issues out! :D

I've got a few "L" brackets screwed to the walls to hang em on and use velcro strips to keep em separated.

Back