Cable Soldering Question

scottn5388

Hello Everyone,

Wasn't quite sure where this one belonged, so I appoligize if I misplaced it.

Anyway, I have a roll of 2333 Console Audio Cable by Mogami. It is a single conductor wire surrounded by sheilding. When I solder a 1/4" TS connector to it I first strip the outter plastic casing of the wire and peel back the sheilding. I twist the sheilding together and later solder that to lower and larger surface of the plug. I then strip about 1/4" of the lead wire and twist it. In this smaller wire, there are the metal leads but also these tiny plastic fibers. When I am tinning the lead, these fibers usually melt. My question is...Is this okay? If not, what should I do with them?

Hope I was clear enough.

Thank you!!

Cheers,
Scott

The Plastic strands mixed in with the cable should be cut back to where the jacketing ends and the shield is first revealed. (that rhymes) anyway, take the shield and wind that into itself so that you basically have a thin wire of it about as long as the single conductor wire. Pre tin the sheild all the way back to the jacketing. then cut this down about half its length. this will keep it from seperating then do as you had mentioned above.

I have heard both ways now. Cutting them back vs. simply melting them. What are the advantages of cutting them off instead of melting them?

scottn5388 said:
I have heard both ways now. Cutting them back vs. simply melting them. What are the advantages of cutting them off instead of melting them?
Its basically standard practice unless you are in a huge hurry. Melting them just makes a mess and is a bad habit if you are using a cable with a semiconductor jacket over the signal wire.

scottn5388 said:
Less bullshit in your connection and on the soldering iron.

Back