Cable routing: any suggestions?

Wickes Mini Trunking White 25x16mmx3m 10 Pack | Wickes.co.uk

That ^ stuff is very useful for the visible sections. Beware the asking price in UK at least, I have found a 5:1 variance! The NON adhesive type is both cheaper and easier to snot in where you want it (or you can screw it)

Re "adding stuff in problems"? Don't be so bloody cheap! Fit redundant cables and trunking! If going thru a wall or tube, always leave a rope pull thru.

John. Glad you brought up the safety aspects! In the network industry you can run mains and network cables in the same trunking but they have to be separated by a physical barrier. The casual contact of a snake with an audio cable is not going to be unsafe because there will be at least four layers of insulation and only for a tiny distance.

Don't forget that you don't need "super" cables for fixed site work. Foil screened balanced cable of about 4mm OD is just as good and the bare drain wire makes termination SO much faster and tidier. You can also of course pack more in a given space.

For the really cash strapped Home Recordist get hold of some shielded 4pair network cable. CAT 5/5e and do not be put off by the solid cores, never had any break!

Dave.

Anyone in my area who wants a few lengths of that vinyl gutter (you'll have to clean them), just let me know, they're all yours.

Yeah...I only use zip ties when I really have to, like where cables are hanging or where they need to be held in place to something else ....otherwise the cabling in the gutters just lays there, untied.

And yeah, the releaseble ties are the safest choice! :D
Hate having to cut ties just to move some cable.

Audio snakes are designed and constructed to run together. Although there are many quality cables out there that would not be a problem, using ties to tightly bind individual cables is not a good idea and most home studios don't use the highest quality cables so I advised against running them together unless they are loose. I think some research is in order and I would check out JHBrandt's suggestions. I can tell you what I've heard and what I've experienced. I think it is easier to construct wooden channels than it is to just lay cords everywhere. The snake idea is a good one though, if they can afford it. I personally have an opened back ox for my surge protectors that hides the power cords. It is the surface my keyboard controller sits on. No one can see anything. Then I string any temporary cords out of the way. I keep the tangle to a minimum and pull cords up when I am done. To store cords I use the mic stand, create loops of cords and throw them over it. I gave away all my older cords and bought all new ones so they are all dated together. Like I said, at one time I had a long channel running along the front of my desk that faced into the room, but that was for a computer work station for graphics. The same could be done behind a table as well. I made a long tray 6" x 6" by the length of the table and then put a small 1x2 over the top at each end. Everything ran in that tray. I hope that helps. I would just avoid tightly tying cords together.
Rod Norman
Engineer

I think it is easier to construct wooden channels than it is to just lay cords everywhere.

It's way easier just to lay cords everywhere. That requires no effort at all, as opposed to constructing wooden channels.

It may be neater to user wooden channels.

The worst I've ever experienced was when we were doing a video and one of the band member's girlfriends was standing on a cable. We got microphonics then that showed up on the video and on the audio. That's why I suggested not tying them tightly. the 90 degree thing I heard years ago. It probably does apply to power next to audio cables. I forgot the details. I just run them loose and keep them away from each other. If I need them run together, I use a snake.
Rod Norman
Engineer

As a solution, laying cords everywhere might not work in many home studios. Stepping on cables is not a good idea. That's why I said it was easier to build a wooden channel.

I found this for you regarding cables. It might help. There are a lot of good suggestions in the replies so You aren't being left wanting. - Wire We Doing This : Recording Magazine -
Rod Norman
Engineer

Thank you Rod,
I appreciate your time in replying. I have read that in other places too.
Generally I'm only running 2-4 mics at a time, and since their routing changes between instruments, and songs, I'm not looking for a way to route mics. I'm much more looking to run line level interconnects and (usually low voltage d.c.) power lines. The kind off thing you generally only change when re-locating equipment, or fundamentally altering the type of music worked with (e.g. acoustic jazz to electronica, etc...).
My studio is a one room affair, and I generally have only 1 or 2 musicians tracking at a time. So mic runs are not really an issue for me at this time.
Obviously, if I ever expand to an external tracking room, I'll need to re-evaluate my needs.

Thanks for the glimpses into the tangled (or not) underbelly of your studios, guys. Much appreciated. For my part, I mostly run wires between and behind equipment, and behind or (cable tied) under the desk or tables. Usually I don't tie stuff on top of horizontal surfaces unless it is really
unruly. As I said earlier, mic cables I generally use where and how needed, without much regard for crosstalk (hasn't been a problem). Microphonics aren't usually an issue for me.

The reason I started this thread is I am considering investing in the open slot wiring ducts, and as I considered them, I realized that I had no idea what others do to deal with the same issues.

Back