Cable question

incursio

I have a need to run a signal from a 1/4 inch unbalanced output jack on my console to a balanced XLR female connection.

Will this still work, or will I need to do some sort of weird conversion? Can I go from unbalanced to balanced, or do I need to do any sort of weird conversion? I know I can get a 1/4 inch tip-sleeve (unbalanced) to XLR cable, but ...

Thanks in advance!

Cool - so I use a DI box to convert the signal - nice. Are all DI boxes comparable, or is there a defacto standard out there?

Thanks!

If you're running a line level signal to another line level signal, you don't need a DI box, it doesn't matter if the way you send that signal changes. Just pick up a TS-XLR cable, and you'll be fine.

If you're changing level/impedance (line/instrument/mic, for example) then you'll need something in between.

It sounds like you're just going from the 1/4" line out on your console, so if you're going into a line in via the XLR, the you're set.

A DI box converts instrument level/impedance to mic level/impedance, so I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Here is the signal path:

Going from:

a 1/4 inch unbalanced phone jack on the back of my Yamaha AW4416 workstation (one of the four omni out jacks)

Going into:

Balanced female XLR, 800 ohms, 500 mV RMS (+4dBV max)

The XLR is on the back of this thing:

http://www.jkaudio.com/autohybrid_dtails.htm

I am in a bit of a time crunch, so I need to pick up the right DI box/cable/etc in the next day or so.

I appreciate your help!

yeah, go with the 1/4" TS to XLR cable.

it'll just be a cable with pins 1 and 3 soldered together (or 3 tied to the shield on the TS connector). So if you are handy with a solder iron, you could make your own.

bennychico11 said:
yeah, go with the 1/4" TS to XLR cable.

it'll just be a cable with pins 1 and 3 soldered together (or 3 tied to the shield on the TS connector). So if you are handy with a solder iron, you could make your own.

Yup, that's what you want to do. Just make sure you get a 1/4" to Male XLR cable, since you're plugging into a female XLR jack.

Cable Question2

Hi, I had a similar kind of question as incursio... I think...

I have a (M-Audio) Firewire 1814 recorder, as you may or may not know it has 2 balanced mic/inst. inputs (on the front) and 8 TS line inputs (on the back)... I've been wanting to add more mic pres to my setup without getting something like the M-Audio Octane...

But can I hook up a mic pre (say like the Behringer T1953) which has 60 Ohm balanced and 30 Ohm unbalanced outputs to back inputs of my 1814 (TS line inputs)...

I am afraid to ask this because I'm pretty sure it's not possible but still, my question is... will i get any problems connecting the mic pre's outputs to my 1814's TS line inputs? And if so, how can I best do this?

Last edited:
Back