cable mess!

tapeboy

I got a Soundcraft 200series mixer, it has 4 busses which are xlr male. I need to find xlr cables (not mike cables cos I tried them!) that have mono jacks on the other end to plug into my 8 track tape machine. All is running at +4dB.

Where do I find such cables, preferably in Europe: I'm in Denmark.
Also in the soundcraft manual it says that I can take the busses parallel (1-4, 5-8) into the tape machine. Does this mean the ultimate would be one xlr with 2 jacks in the other end!!?? I don't mind re-plugging if one to one cables are easier to find.
THANKS in advance out there.
AND I can't solder, I've tried...shaky hands!

tapeboy said:
I got a Soundcraft 200series mixer, it has 4 busses which are xlr male. I need to find xlr cables (not mike cables cos I tried them!) that have mono jacks on the other end to plug into my 8 track tape machine. All is running at +4dB.
What brand/model of 8 track?

tapeboy said:
Its a Brennel mini 8. Would try ebay but don't know what to look for!
If a straight-through mic cable is not working then one end is non-standard (the reason I asked about the brand of recorder is because there are numerous threads here about nonstandard Otari wiring).

It might be worth reversing pins 2 and 3 and seeing if that helps things - or picking up an adapter that does that. If it works on one track then you can go out and buy another 7!

First are you talking mono phone plugs at one end (1/4" ts) to XLR female .
The send from a board if its XLR would always be male on the board the cable would be female XLR to 1/4" ts I believe. The soundcraft if I can remember is PIN 3 hot so you would need a cable that would sum the tip of the mono 1/4 plug to pin 3 of the XLR. Correct me if I read your description wrong. If you cant find them, Which you may not be able, you can always make them easy enough. Or find someone who is near you to do so.

I'm not shure if this will help you as I am still not shure as to the nature of the connection you require as It is a rather vauge question

Attachments

• xlrf.bmp
    30.3 KB · Views: 47
tapeboy said:
thank you! I'd be glad to go in to more detail. What do you need to know!!??
when you are speaking of mono jacks I have to assume that you mean 1/4" male plugs or are you talking about RCA. This would pertain to the input on the 8 track
Then If you have a manual for your console (look to see if its wired pin 3 hot)

yes, 1/4" male plugs. I'll check the manual. Thanks. If they are wired hot then this would explain why I can't use ordinary mike cables yes? Could I convert a mike cable? (XLR to Jack type).

tapeboy said:
yes, 1/4" male plugs. I'll check the manual. Thanks. If they are wired hot then this would explain why I can't use ordinary mike cables yes? Could I convert a mike cable? (XLR to Jack type).
Idealy you could use impedence matching transformers, as this gets kind of expensive, yes you can get or make a XLR to 1/4" mono cord as I had mentioned at the onset of this discussion assuming you had what you have now told me. You can pick up a XLR Female to Male 1/4" plug relatively easy. Finding one wired PIN 3 Hot is a little harder. If you had ones wired pin 2 hot and needed pin 3 hot all you would have to do is sum pin2 with the shield and wire the tip to pin 3. If you can't find these cables I can try to find someone in europe who sells them for you.

Well I solved the cable problem. Read in the manual that the aux outs are the same as the buss outs. So I just took 1/4 inch mono jack to jacks and fed them to the tape machine and bingo! Thanks for ALL the advice everyone.

Back