Cable Making Stuff

JeffLancaster

I've decided to try making some of my own instrument and patch cables. I did a search and saw that many folks recommended using Mogami or Canare cable and Neutrik connections. Also noticed that many of you used http://www.redco.com as a supplier.

So I went to the redco sight and noticed that both the canare and mogami instrument cable come in two types: "instrument cable" and "miniature instrument cable". So my first question is what is miniature instrument cable and which type do I need?

Next I looked at the Nuetrik connectors. Of course I know I want 1/4" tip-sleeve connectors, but I counted 14 different types available, just for this one brand. Some of the differences are obvious (i.e. right angle vs straight), but the other differences are much more subtle. And the prices range from less than a dollar to over four dollars per connector. So my second question is, what is the best type and which choice would be most economical without a sacrifice in quality?

Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.

The "miniature" cables usually just have a thinner insulation around the wire. This will make the overall weight and thickness of the cable smaller, but, it isn't as protected from damage as a thicker insulation is.

The connectors are all quite different, mostly in how they go together.

To tell you the truth, those Redco HP 2C look just fine and will last for years and years.

The other differences in the connectors are just fluffy stuff. Save your money. About the only cool things any of the other connectors offer is improved strain relief, but you can just use some shrink wrap, and save a LOT of money!

Its a pretty amazing link:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/all_about_cables.htm

Everything about cables!

It says:
"Its a rule: Never force two outputs into an input (that is why we use mixers)."
Its says you can damage your gear doing this.

You guys said its ok to connect sub to Presonus CS via its 2 outputs to subs input.
Im sorry for offtopic but is there a better solution for me than Y calbe? A Patch bay??
I might already damage Presonus doing the Y connection!

The redco connectors are fine but I use the neutriks since they look nicer (which is the only difference I can find). Neutrik premium TRS connectors are nice but pricey and also they have the no crimp ends

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Just a couple more questions: First of all, is there any advantage to the pricier gold connectors over the silver ones, or is it just a matter of looks. Secondly, looking at the pictures of the Canare and the Mogami cables, the Canare has the copper conducters and looks a lot more heavy-duty than the mogami. Perhaps it's just an illusion of the pictures I'm looking at, but does anyone know if there's a difference there that justify's the higher price (.55/ft vs .37/ft).

Technically, gold conducts better, but I have never been able to qualify that with my own ears.

The mogami has copper leads too, and I think you are seeing these pictures from different perspectives. Have worked with both brands of cable, I can assure you that in your hand, they will feel to be about the same.

About the price difference. It is hard to say why. I would think that Canare would try to compete better than that. But, to be fair, it could be do to any number of factors.

Redco's markup.
Redco's volume pricing with each company.
Supply/demand.

Mogami is a VERY popular brand! They have been in the cable game for a LONG time, and many of the finest studios in the world are wired with Mogami.

For what it's worth.

Back