Cabaret Style Song about Intestinal Parasites

Todzilla

This is a break from my usual wrestling a gajillion tracks into a coherent bombastic mix.

It's just drums, bass, piano and two vocalists. Please let me know what you think of the mix and whether or not you it makes you quesy.

Thanks...

Boy, how does this go 10 hours sans comment with a thread title like that?

Anyway, a fine mix from what I can tell. Maybe not lavish like your last one, but certainly an ambitious performance. The lyrics are funny and the vocals performances are great.

I can't imagine what your influences are from hearing your stuff, but I'm guessing they are numerous and varied.

I mean, it's an odd tune for sure and probably not for everyone, but entertaining and well captured nonetheless.

Only thing maybe is the piano - not sure how that was captured but the sound itself is perhaps a bit small although it appears to panned unusually wide. I dunno - just something I noticed - nice mix though.

Thanks, Mr. Miser!

Yeah, I probably scared off folks with the thread title, although it is about as accurate as they come.

My influences, as I see them in this song are: Kurt Weill, Stephen Sondheim, Leonard Bernstein. Others have noted XTC and Frank Zappa, two of my favorite groups/artists.

This forum is usually harsher on my material than other forums, so I'm curious as to what they think of this rather minimalist mix.

Piano is a Roland RD-300X recorded direct through a Demeter stereo DI. The panning is done in the piano, with bass notes hard L and treble R. I could decrease the spread, but the inherent stereo-osity is from the box.

Bloody good....!
A big Beatles influence, I would think. Very well arranged, performed and recorded. And I think glorifying tapeworm is a real original idea.
Well done!:)

Very nice song - great mix. "Oh Squirmy" - love it! I got a kind of "Andy Partridge lead vocal with a Queen backing vocal" vibe. Wasn't as keen on the section starting with the drums at 2:03 - not as original as the rest of the song. Top marks for originality on the song as a whole.

This is right up there with a bar band I heard several years ago with a song about catheters.

Great song, nice mix!

I think you ought to try and sell this one to Sesame Street, so Oscar the grouch can get a new pet. Slimy is getting a bit passe.

It does have a sense of the musichall sections of Sgt Pepper run through Flo & Eddie. The closer harmony sections are very cabaret.
The change is VERY XTC mid period isn't it! Both in the vocal tone & the melody.
I like the mix very much - the bass has a great tone & the piano spread is the way it should be really.
Some parts of the song/arrangement do the kitch routine a bit too well - for yucks I suppose. I get a visual image of the woman & dog from Black Hole the Sun for some reason.
Good work all round, & as I said, the mix is terrific.
Please post more.

Back