Cab suggestions needed!!!

typecaste

I just bought a Krank Revolution Series 1 Amplifier. If you are not familiar with it, it sounds similar to a Mesa Boogie, yet more refined and the distortion is just immaculate.
Krankamps.com

But this Head is super powerful and my crate cab can no longer handle it. I need a new 4x12 cab that can handle the nu-metal type of heavy chugging, and punky type of chord playing. Something that can withstand the bass and highs the krank puts out while mainaining crystal clear sound quality. Krank has cabs, but they are super expensive, and im looking for something a little more affordable. thanks!!!!
-btek

there's a company that a few people on here have used. i can't remember what it's called or anything, but they are supposed to have really cheap, well made cabs. i'll search for it and let you know if i come up with something.

The Marshall shoud handle it. If the cabinet rattles, take the back off and get that weather stripping (the black foam strips with the sticky stuff on one side) and put it everywhere the back touches the cabinet. Including the center post. You might also want to add a screw in the center post.

Dont be like everyone else.

Get a 2x10 and a 1x15 cab together to go with it. It will sound great. Try it sometime and thank me later.:)

H2H

I had the guy from Krank mod and retube my Rivera head when I lived out in Phoenix. It's pretty fun because you get to go into his garage and A/B different capacitors, tubes, etc. and see what you like best. The amp sounds about 200% better. Anyway, I really like my Genz Benz G-flex 2x12 cab. I'm not sure if it's exactly the sound you're looking for, but worth an audition. It sounds bigger than any 4x12 I've played through.

ebeam said:
I had the guy from Krank mod and retube my Rivera head when I lived out in Phoenix. It's pretty fun because you get to go into his garage and A/B different capacitors, tubes, etc. and see what you like best. The amp sounds about 200% better. Anyway, I really like my Genz Benz G-flex 2x12 cab. I'm not sure if it's exactly the sound you're looking for, but worth an audition. It sounds bigger than any 4x12 I've played through.

I have a genz benz now, and it cant handle the krank. I have to set the lows way down for the GB too sound good. The krank guys are really awesome, they got a new place a few minutes from work, and they put in ALOT of heart and soul into their work. It is the best head I have ever played through. I am thoroughly satisfied.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!!!

just checked out the avatars. WOW! I am sold on these. Now I just need to pick out the right speakers. Thanks for the goldmine of help!!! Much appreciated!
-btek

spoonie g said:
Here are some sites with sound samples:

www.celestion.com

www.proguitar.de

www.tonefrenzy.com

it's always best to try them out in person, but you can't always, and this is a good starting point.

personally, after going through tons of combos, my favorite is a combo of vintage 30's and g12h30's in an x-pattern in my Orange 4x12.
BAM! I just ordered an Avatar cab with that setup: vintage 30's and g12h30's! Thanks to all for helping me make a good decision! You guys saved me 300 bucks!

i've got a mesa triple and used to use two marshall 4x12 cabs. i since swapped both of them for one slightly oversized mesa 4x12 with the chrome side armor. eventhough i had the same speakers in both cabinets (celestion vintage 30s), the mesa cab sounds thicker and tighter. the bass response is a lot more solid, at least with my setup.

the cabs are a bit more expensive though. about 6-700 for one with no diamond plate (a useless but cool option)

you could get two marshall cabs for that price.

try them both out if you have the ability. and watch out too, there is another new mesa cab out for the road king. it hs 3/4 back. the one i am talking about is totally sealed like a marshall and is both taller and deeper than a marshall i believe.

I've been through a lot of cabs. I started out with a Marshall 1960a (meh, standard), then went to a mesa recto (lots of bass, but pretty harsh on the high-end), bogner slant (very good cab, but the straight is warmer with better bottom-end), and an Orange (my current favorite until I find a Bogner straight).

I also have experimented with many different speaker combinations in all of these cabs; g1275t's and v-30's, v-30's and greenbacks, blues and greenbacks, etc.,
and my favorite is the g12h30/v-30 combo, and is what I use presently in my Orange. You made a good choice, methinks.

Save some money and get the sound you want...build your own cab. It's easy, fun, and you get the satisfaction of having your own artwork on stage...even if it's crooked.

setabkcin said:
Save some money and get the sound you want...build your own cab. It's easy, fun, and you get the satisfaction of having your own artwork on stage...even if it's crooked.

you have a point. But i have very little time and expertise to deal with building a cab.I can fix a car, no prob, but when it comes to carpentry i got 2 left hands. I did get a nice combination of speakers, and thanks to all the good suggestions, I feel like i have made a good choice. thanks!

I say just go the the store or whatever and crank it up with different cabs. Buy the one that kicks the most ass.

Back