Cab speakers are "locking"

Trippalot

What's up. I just made a speaker cab with two twelves and two tens. Sounds good except for the fact that if I play a hard rhythm guitar part or something like that, all four speakers will lock for a moment and sound really weak. If I let up a little, they'll unlock and scream like normal. Any idea what's up with it? By the way, I'm pushing them with the amp from a Fender M-80. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Tripp

Bizarre! I'm guessing its a ported cabinet; did you tune the cabinet according to the free air resonance of the speakers?

Twist

Actually, it's not ported. And, as a test to see if it had something to do with air flow, I took one of the speakers out to create an escape hole, but they did the same thing.

See what happens with a different amp. Is your Fender solid state, or tube? It's possible for a malfunctioning solid state amp to allow DC out to the speakers which would cause them to "lock". This is usually a more catastrophic type failure which would cause the fuse to blow, rather than an intermittant failure. This condition is also very damaging to the speakers by the way!

Twist

the ohm

How did you wire those speakers? And...are there multiple impedance outputs on your M80. Unfortunately, thats one of the only Fender amps I dont know anything about. If those are each 8 ohm speakers and you have them wired in series, thats a huge pull. I would bet this has something to do with it.

Anyone with more knowledge on this subject want to jump in here?

Hard2Hear:

The M-80 has two 75 watt channels. I'm not bridging or running in series. I'm really just putting the two tens on one channel and the two twelves on the other. Maybe that helps a little. . .

Back