Cab Question

Venesectrix

I have a Marshall AVT275. It's stereo, so it has two mains outputs.(each 75w.) My friend has an 8 ohm 4x12 cab with a mono input.

Is there a way I can use all 150 watts from my amp to the cab?
Can I simply buy a y-connector, plug in each channel to the adapter and plug that in the cab, or will that screw up the ohms?

Thanks

Some amps can be bridged to mono and some cannot. Just doing the Y adaptor is probably not something I would try. Check your manual for amp briding options.

One other option would be to rewire teh 4x12 into two 2x12s with two inputs.

Ed

That would certainly be worth a try. One side goes to the Marshall speaker and the 4x12, and the other to just the Marshall.

Ed

The AVT275 is a stereo 2x12 combo amp. Each side is 8 ohms.
Are you saying that I plug one of the outputs to the 4x12, and just leave one of the other speakers(in the amp) connected?

The Marshall site info I saw seemed to show that you can connect both the internal 2x12 speakers and external speakers.

There should be two external jacks, for each side of the amp. You could connect the 4x12 to one of these external jacks and see what it sounds like. One side would have more speaker output that the other, but it's worth trying to see what it sounds like.

Ed

This is a bit off topic, but why does it say in virtualy every amp manual I've seen,

"DO NOT switch the amplifier on without the loudspeaker connected"?

Many amps are designed with speaker loading in mind, where the normal default is an 8 ohm speaker setup. When no speakers are connected, the effective ohms is infinite. For some designs, this can cause problems in the amp circuit.

It's kind of like the power tubes are all warmed up with no place to go...

Ed

That depends on the amp design. I am not familiar with what you have.

Any time I am plugging and unplugging speakers, I just turn the amp off which avoids the issue.

Ed

Back