C1000 or C414 for hi-hat?

gawkman

I'm going into a local studio in a month to track some drums, and I got their mic inventory. I've come down to choosing between the AKG C1000 or the AKG C414 to mic the hi-hat. Common sense tells me I should go with the small diaphragm condensor, but I've heard C414's used for overheads and they sounded great.

Fact to keep in mind: on my hi-hat tracks, I typical get rid of a lot of the frequencies below 5k... I like to get a crisp "psssssss" sound.

What's your opinion?

gawkman said:
I'm going into a local studio in a month to track some drums, and I got their mic inventory. I've come down to choosing between the AKG C1000 or the AKG C414 to mic the hi-hat. Common sense tells me I should go with the small diaphragm condensor, but I've heard C414's used for overheads and they sounded great.

Fact to keep in mind: on my hi-hat tracks, I typical get rid of a lot of the frequencies below 5k... I like to get a crisp "psssssss" sound.

What's your opinion?
I'd use a Shure SM81 on the HH.

If I had to make a choice between a C1000 and a C414, it would be the 414 anytime.
Does this studio have SDC's like C451? With a CK1 capsule this is a great hat mic. You will have that ultimate psssst sound with this mic.

Actually, the C414 is a *great* mic on toms, padded. I don't generally mic hihat separately. However, I can't imagine *anything* that I would mic with a C1000S if I had a C414 available.-Richie

The 414 is a great hi hat mic. Here's a shot of me using one in a recent session.

snare-hat1.jpg

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on the hr forums guys to answer my question. Think I'll go w/ the C414.

The guy has a pair of SM81s, but we're using those for overheads. The only small diaphragm condensors are the pair of SM81s and a pair of C1000s. The rest are LD mics. Hell, here's a list (I had the guy email me a list)

Shure SM 57, 58, 588, SM 81's
AKG C414, C 1000's, D3800, C 3000, D 112's
Audio Technica AT 4040's, AT 4047sv, ST 90's
Sennheiser E609 E 604's MD 421's
Rode NT-1, NT-2
CAD something or other hand held condenser
Electro-Voice PL-6
Earthworks M 30

If you guys have any other suggestions, let me know.

P.S. Dot - is that an RE20, and what exactly was being mic'ed there in the lower-righthand corner? The bottom of the snare and the hi-hat? Secret weapon-technique? Inquiring minds want to know!

Oh, I see now. It looked like it was a foot up the ground, pointed towards the hi-hat.

Thanks for the links... cool mic setup!

gawkman said:
The guy has a pair of SM81s, but we're using those for overheads. The only small diaphragm condensors are the pair of SM81s and a pair of C1000s.
In that case... I'd try the AKG C414 also because the AKG C1000S sucks on HH IMO.

Back