C1 vs KSM 32

I belive that was an U87 with a Hanz Kline mod, is what Rip Rowan wrote in his review. The C1 is a reliable performer but quite a different mic than the nt1000, or a v67 for that matter. but the voices they are most suited for are similer.
It is true that mics like the ksm32 and the B1 being more accurate are better for instruments are not colored enough to suit most voices, even one such as mine.

darrin_h2000 said:
It is true that mics like the ksm32 and the B1 being more accurate are better for instruments are not colored enough to suit most voices

Unless you're a chick.

(btw - who the hell is Hanz Kline?)

darrin_h2000 said:
Some German Genius that modifys u87s to make them sound like C1s

Think he's any relation to Klaus Heyne?

By the way... a little tip to the wise:

Regardless of your opinion on the subject, don't EVER use the words "Klaus Heyne" and "genius" in the same phrase if Stephen Paul is within earshot. If you do, I guarantee you will regret it...

ummm... which part of "I've never used a C-1" didn't you understand?

Oops. :o

The NTK's a little different, obviously, since it's a tube mic. I really dig it -- very cool sound.

The way I tend to work is I would get the KSM now since it's available cheap, then I might wait for another day when maybe I found a similar deal for the NTK, and then I'd ebay the NT1000 and jump on that.

If you don't decide on the KSM, then email me -- snailinajar@yahoo.com before it's sold to someone else. I'm seriously just waiting on the right deal.

That's probably really good advise except that my NT1000 will never see ebay. I love that mic.

Sorry I got off track. I have wanted a KSM32 since the first time I heard one. I need to stay focused. :)

I have read so many glowing reports about the NTK. The truth is that I have only scratched the surface with my NT1000. I just don't see to many reports on them. Not sure why that is. Maybe because you don't see them advertized very much. Maybe it's because the C1 is $100 cheaper and comes with a shock mount and case. Who knows?

Anyway, you guys have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Blessings, Terry

chessrock said:
Well, if they stuck a tube somewhere in that thing, then you'd here people talking about it.

Oh, that's right . . .

Yeah, but then they would call it an NTK or something of the like. :D

A friend of mine and I recorded an excellent male vocalist a few weeks ago. The KSM 32 and the C1 were the two mics we had available. The vocalist had excellent range and could quite smoothly go from a very pleasing pure sound to a more harsh grungy sound.

I preferred the C1 on his voice, but my friend who is actually producing the project preferred the KSM 32. This may have been influenced by which mic each of us are used to. This was my first time hearing the KSM, and my friends first time hearing the C1.

I thought the slight hype in the C1 brought out the best in the vocalist, whereas I found the KSM to be a little more boring. I think the KSM is clearly a more honest, less colored mic, which probably makes it more versatile.

Back