C1 vs C3 Cardiod?

TheOneTrueMatt

So I've only heard this commented on once or twice, and doing a search didn't get me much, so I'm asking if anyone's ever A/Bed them or owned/auditioned both and can confirm whether the C1 and the C3's cardiod mode in fact are identical or at least close enough that the C3 would garner the same endorsement as an effective vocal mic as the C1. I was planning on buying a C1 but I've found I might be able to get a C3 for not quite as much more as I thought, so I'm thinking if the cardiod C3 will deliver the same results as the C1, its worth having a decent LDC that has omni and figure 8 patterns too. Especially since there are no other multi-pattern mics on my list right now.

TheOneTrueMatt said:
...I was planning on buying a C1 but I've found I might be able to get a C3 for not quite as much more as I thought...
No, they're not the same in cardioid. Personally, I'd go for the C3. To me, the top end is just way smoother and sweeter than the C1.

Re: Re: C1 vs C3 Cardiod?

Flatpicker said:
No, they're not the same in cardioid. Personally, I'd go for the C3. To me, the top end is just way smoother and sweeter than the C1.

I totally agree with Flatpicker.
I think the C3 sounds much nicer than C1 on same sources, I've found.

Thanks for the input guys, if the price is good that's probably the way I'll go (C3). I'm getting a deal because I work at a local music store in Madison, WI (I'm a guitar instructor there) and we carry Studio Projects, so I get a discount on stuff. Its a great resource as I try to build/improve my project studio, but also very dangerous since I'm in the store several days a week and gear is just staring me in the face. Though we don't carry a ton of recording stuff (we're no GC, but frankly we're a better guitar store in my opinion) I can still get a lot of good deals.

I've never heard the C-1, but I own a C-3, and it is a very useful mic. It's just one of my vocal mic solutions. I like it a lot on lady singers in particular.-Richie

TheOneTrueMatt said:
So I've only heard this commented on once or twice, and doing a search didn't get me much, so I'm asking if anyone's ever A/Bed them or owned/auditioned both and can confirm whether the C1 and the C3's cardiod mode in fact are identical or at least close enough that the C3 would garner the same endorsement as an effective vocal mic as the C1. I was planning on buying a C1 but I've found I might be able to get a C3 for not quite as much more as I thought, so I'm thinking if the cardiod C3 will deliver the same results as the C1, its worth having a decent LDC that has omni and figure 8 patterns too. Especially since there are no other multi-pattern mics on my list right now.
The Cardiod pattern of the C3 doesn't sound like the the C1... they are different... I sold my C1 and C3's and don't remember exactly what the differences were... but I do remember that I preferred the C3 over the C1. If you can come up with a little more money and really want a decent budget multi-pattern LDC... you might want to audition something like the shure KSM44.

Last edited:
So many mics, so hard to choose...

Hmm, this just keeps getting tougher. My concern isn't primarily to get multiple patterns, I just saw that as a possible bonus. I had settled on the C1 'cause I'd heard so many good things about it as a great value, and I want something that will get the job done really well on vocals for this project, but that I'll still find use for if I buy something nicer later on. I'm getting the impression the C3 is more popular among those who've posted, but also very different.

I've also considered something more neutral like the AT4040. Frankly, its all a gamble at this point and I just need to find my best bet and buy it. I'm going to hit GC next weekend and hope they're willing to let me audition some stuff, but even then it wont' include some of my top candidates. My budget has gone from "Whatever I have to spend to get something good" to about $300-400 tops (ideally $300 or under) because I just need to get the job done and still keep an RNC and heavy duty boom stand in my budget.

Any other ideas in this price range? The project I'm going to use this on first (though I'll be doing very different stuff with it later) is primarily male tenor vocals, progressive metal, so I'll need them to stand out in a dense mix, but also shine a bit on calmer, sparser passages.

ausrock likes sending little secret messages.

TheOneTrueMatt said:
I'm getting the impression the C3 is more popular among those who've posted, but also very different.
That's correct.

Back