C1/studio projects

Only reason to go C1 over V67 would be Alan's service reputation. Worth a few bucks in my book, dunno if its worth $70...

Queue

(plus then you could join the secret SPC1 society ;) )

I wish I could count the number of Studio Projects microphones this BBS has helped sell by "word of mouth".....i myself always recommend it right along side the v67.....of course if someone here hollars about a broke mic or something not right, hes (Alan) gonna fall over his feet trying to help...i just hope that is the case outside of these boards.....

sorry, im already in the v67'ers society.......

darrin_h2000 said:
If the sm57 is such a bad vocal mic,Why did Robert Plant use it?

Knowing this do you still dislike it for vocal use?:confused:

Pre- or post- Led Zeppelin? If he used it on Shaken n' Stirred, Principle of Moments, or Fate of Nations, I'm impressed. If he used it with Zeppelin, well, that's nice. Zeppelin records mostly sound pretty bad IMO. Percy's amazing voice is going to sound great no matter what, but on the Zeppelin records, it could have been better.

Compare the sound of Zeppelin "IV" to the other two from the "Big Three" records released that year, Aqualung and Who's Next. There's NO comparison. Zeppelin were able to get some really cool sounds, but they did it in such a lo-fi manner...

Anyway, I just said that I think it's a bad vocal mic FOR ME. Like I've said, I know it's a great microphone, and I know that some people (Phil Collins, for instance) have used it and gotten great results. But now that I've had it... oh gosh, I got it for my birthday three or four years ago, the conclusion that I've come to is that it sounds unnatural with my voice. It might have something to do with the fact that my voice has a pretty high timbre. I really have no idea.

57's

They seem to lean tward the harsher tones. This works very well on some things EG: electric guitar, snare drum. I know some performers use them to this day in and out of the studio for vocals. Tom Petty is one who as far as I know has always used one. Look at his vocal style though. He is pretty soft spoaken and right on top of the mic. This would lend it's self to being able to use a sm57 live. I'm sure he has got a sound crew that knows how to use a compressor to smooth things out a bit to.

I have a pretty low voice and foud that the sm57 does not work in the studio for me. And I would never even consider it live, it is not very forgiving.

Just so no one confuses this with a slam on sm57's, I own 3 and almost always have one pointed at my guitar amp. when I am doing drums I wish I had more of them

Later
F.S.

Gidge said:
so with the Marshall MXLv67 and the C1 sounding to me as pretty much the same mic, and I could get the Marshall mic for $70, why should I buy the C1?....serious question, not a flame......

Ever ask yourself why all of a sudden this mic has come down in price? Why was it not less expensive a few months ago?

With all due respect to Marshall, and Harvey, I think the C1 is a better built and better sounding mic. I respect Harvey's opinions, and I also respect mine. My ears and others are different than Harvey's. I would expect there are others that agree with me and others may agree with Harvey.

The fact is, the C1 is quieter, fuller sounding, handles more SPL before breaking up, and in three weeks or so, the C1's have added a pad switch and a Hi-Pass filter, so the C1 has just added a bunch more value. I just received our shipment and the new ones with the pad will be shipping soon. Many dealers still have the others in stock, so when they get low, they will get the new ones.

I have kept this change quiet, but this was a good opportunity for me to tell. Remember, this is just my opinion, so for those who know me, and those on this group that met me at the AES Show will back me up. I do not bull shit for the sake of sales. I tell the truth as I see it, and I believe that Harvey does as well.

In either case, I think the $70.00 difference is worth it, and for those who have had any kind of service from me on any of the brands we sell, you know it is fast and free.

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

fair enough....

but as far as it coming down in price, the v67 really hasnt....everyone is pretty much selling it for around $199, except for Mars with their v67M....and alot of people are crazy enough to match that price with a v67G.....

how about getting Mars to do a C1M and they can lowball the price and we all could get a good deal on a C1......

thanks for the reply and I will continue to recommend the C1 as I always have....unfortunately, its the only Studio Projects Ive ever tried, but if you wanna send me 1 of each of the rest of the line, I could squeeze some time in to test them:D

What about us Charter Members?

in three weeks or so, the C1's have added a pad switch and a Hi-Pass filter, so the C1 has just added a bunch more value

This is great news...

...for anyone who hasn't bought a C1 yet...

What about all the guys who got in on the ground floor?

Queue

Give 'em hell Queue....those features alone woulda made me think again when i bought the v67......

I know, I know....

But this was done as a result of all the feedback I got from all of you. Believe me, I do listen and will always strive to make my mics better when possible.

I know this does not comfort you very well, but you can email me privately and we can discuss it.

As for a C1M....nah, I don't think so. If MARS and others want to cheapen the price, there is a reason why they do it, and that is they got a deal, and I don't do deals.

My mics are worth more....:D

Alan

Back