C-Port and Win2k (grrr...)

Seanmorse79

...anybody have any luck with the ST Audio (Hoontech) C-Port (DSP2000) and Win2000?

It was working beautifully under Win98se until I upgraded. I've gone through all the driver updates (ASIO & WDM), software updates, even reformatted my machine and installed Win2k clean. The sound just locks up (obnoxiously repeats about 2 ms of the last audio played indefinately) about 15 min after bootup.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

I'm running c-port with N-Track on W2k. I would be lying if I said there were no problems but it's working. What audio SW are you using?

/Ola

Tx for the reply, ola :)

I'm running Sonar, but I can't even get that far. If I try to play an mp3 (or a wav) in Windows media player or Winamp, or play a game with sound, it freaks out usually before a single song even finishes. Since my post, I've tried moving the card into another PCI port, and even yanking my NIC card (bye bye, cable modem).

I've put posts on ST Audio's little forum and Claus (If you're using Win2k, I bet you know who he is) recommends that I disable ACPI (power management & IRQ sharing) ....which requires yet another reformat.

I'm going to try it, but I think he's just stalling. I bought the card at Mars and they won't return it because there's "software" in the box.

...this is why people shoot people.

...if I click my heels three times and say "I wish I had a Delta 1010", do you think it'd work?

Okay, I stand corrected,,,

After a bit of checking at the ST-Audio site and the Yahoo site (thanks Twist! :) ) , I found that disabling ACPI (not APM, but ACPI) does not require a re-format. During the process, Win2k automatically re-installs all of your system's hardware drivers (to allow for disabled IRQ sharing).

...long story short, I disabled ACPI in Win2k and it works like a champ now - 8 tracks at once and solid as a rock. (I even got my cable modem working again)

Twist, if you do decide to upgrade to Win2k (chances are you may have the same problem even if you're using NT now because of Win2k's ACPI garbage), here's the step-by-step to disable it.

http://www.ridimultimedia.de/kb/staudio/2000xp/index.html

Read through it before you upgrade - it's easier to do when your installing/upgrading the O/S.

Back