Bypassing the preamp on my mackie board.

Freudian Slip

OK. I had a thought. If I was to run a outboard pre and monitor it by running one of the pre's outputs into the insert jack using a TRS connector with no connection going to the ring of the trs plug, I could effectively bypass the boards preamp and have a different pre running through the channel strip.

Don't ask me why I would want to do it, but doesn't this sound as if it would work just fine given you don't exceed the max gain level that the strip can handle?

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried this or if there is a good reason that this is not possible?

Thanks

F.S.

Wouldn't you want to have signal on the ring since that is what the channel is looking as far as signal goes? Also, I beleive that if you just run your preamped signal to the line input that you are actually skipping the preamp part of the circuit and just hitting the line buffer. Without adding an y additional gain at the gain knob I don't see as how this would not be an acceptable solution. Plus it keeps you wiring more basic and balanced.

Freudian Slip:

Wouldn't you want to have signal on the ring since that is what the channel is looking as far as signal goes? Also, I beleive that if you just run your preamped signal to the line input that you are actually skipping the preamp part of the circuit and just hitting the line buffer. Without adding an y additional gain at the gain knob I don't see as how this would not be an acceptable solution. Plus it keeps you wiring more basic and balanced.

. . . or your way, you're now going to go through the Mackie's eq/buss circuitry. Your way should bypass Mackie's input attenuator circuit.

Paj
8^)

In my thinking, the ring connection on an insert jack (on the board) is the output as evidenced by pulling the out a TS plug one click to use the insert as a direct out.

As far as I know the 1/4 inch inputs do not bypass the preamp. The pre-gain control certainly still controls them and is able to provide boost.

The main point for me of this is to be able to run parrallel outputs from my preamps (which all have 2 ballanced outputs per channel) and use my board for monitoring them along with my board pre's and avoid making my other connection (going straight to my interface) unballanced.

My next qustion relates to that.

If I run a trs out of a ballanced jack with a totally dead ring, shouldn't it allow me to keep the other parallel output (xlr jack) balanced.

To me this seems like the cleanest way to get my pre signal to my interface and still be able to monitor through my board.
What do you think?

Now if anyone knows how to monitor the inputs of two echo laylas through a single pair of outputs I would love to know, to my knowlege it is not possible and I do not want any latency that would be associated with moitoring via my DAW program (sonar 6).

Thanks guys.

F.S.

In my thinking, the ring connection on an insert jack (on the board) is the output as evidenced by pulling the out a TS plug one click to use the insert as a direct out.

As far as I know the 1/4 inch inputs do not bypass the preamp. The pre-gain control certainly still controls them and is able to provide boost.

The main point for me of this is to be able to run parrallel outputs from my preamps (which all have 2 ballanced outputs per channel) and use my board for monitoring them along with my board pre's and avoid making my other connection (going straight to my interface) unballanced.

My next qustion relates to that.

If I run a trs out of a ballanced jack with a totally dead ring, shouldn't it allow me to keep the other parallel output (xlr jack) balanced.

To me this seems like the cleanest way to get my pre signal to my interface and still be able to monitor through my board.
What do you think?

Now if anyone knows how to monitor the inputs of two echo laylas through a single pair of outputs I would love to know, to my knowlege it is not possible and I do not want any latency that would be associated with moitoring via my DAW program (sonar 6).

Thanks guys.

F.S.

A few things.. First, get ye the frikin' block diagrams (every one of us needs these :)
Yes, line' is through the pre (all of them far as I've seen)
Which board? (8 bus does have tape' in.

Not sure about the 'balance/trs/ring/split thing..(to0 brain dead to go there right now.. :D
What I did is just split the out board pres. One goes to the A/D (recorder what ever.. the other to line in for monitor. It's 'wire intensive but no less than where you were headed anyway..
Very easy with the pre's that provide dual outs. RNP's (they do monitor splits with it's insert much like others), True Precision' here.
'Chameleon I do the hard way. :o

Oooh ooh, speaking of splits- dbx 160x -for a good example- left in the 'record path, -hard wire by pass, and dual outs.:D

yeah forget the Y cable. Take one output of your pre direct to your convertor and the other output to the thwackie for monitoring

yeah forget the Y cable. Take one output of your pre direct to your convertor and the other output to the thwackie for monitoring

That was my plan. I just figured bypassing the mackie pre would provide more accurate monitoring and protect against any possible noise, unbalancing , etc that could be imparted by the mackie pre.

Thanks Guys.

Mixit: It's a sr24-4 and a very old one at that.

F.S.

You know, I missed where you said the pres do have dual outs.
So.. run 'line in, what's to worry?
The board'll be in the monitor path +/- one op amp. :)

You know, I missed where you said the pres do have dual outs.
So.. run 'line in, what's to worry?
The board'll be in the monitor path +/- one op amp. :)

That's what I am going to do for now. I have everyhing to make up the cords so that's the deal for now. I do want to try it the other way though just to see.

Thanks

Dave.

Back