bx5a need a subwoofer, right?

visa

after some reading on hr.com i came to the conclusion that the bx5a monitor that i'm getting for x-mas from my parents needs a subwoofer to support the lows that it's lacking.

here's my question:

does the bx5a require an m-audio sub or any other specific sub?
any recommendations? i really can't afford the m-audio SBX.

also, can anyone direct me to a website or just tell me how to set the whole speaker system up?
eg. what speaker/subwoofer volume ratio is recommended?
right now i'm using a cambridge thx desktop speaker system with a subwoofer and my mixes always turn out very bassy and muffled. what could be the reason for this?

Yo Visa. You won't get the info. you want from a website. because you are proposing a nonstandard combination of main and sub. I think Wharfdale and possibly Behringer make less expensive subs that will work. Note this- before they put the sub in a new enclosure and redesignated it SBX, it was designated SP-8S. Try spooking around on ebay, etc., and see if you can find an older used SP-8S. It's basically the same subwoofer.
As far as the crossover settings, I find 100-120hz is about the right crossover separation frequency. The volume settings on the sub and mains you'll have to set by ear, according to your needs and taste. I've never heard the Wharfdale sub, but a couple of guys on this board wound up using it with SP5B, the predecessor of the BX5, with good results. I use the SP5B's with the SBX, and the combination is very usable. The sub definitely makes a huge improvement in the system.-Richie

Visa, an M-Audio SBX sub would certainly be preferable, but my budget dictated a work-around solution for a while. I chose the Wharfie Powercube 8 because it offers both line ins and outs (no hi-fi speaker wires), and the power and speaker size are similar to the SBX. There's a 10" model, too, but I chose the 8" (100 watts) since I was worried about too much low-end thump. I've found the 8" to be clean and punchy, with plenty of low-end extension for mixing. What a difference it makes not to guess at those low freqs, and the slightly bright BX5s seem to shine with the addition of a sub. Just be sure to resist the temptation to overdo it: spend lots of time integrating the sub (settings and placement) so that you don't actually notice the sub at all. Let it fill in and nothing more.

http://www.bestbuyplasma.com/Plasma/Product.asp_X_Sku_Y_POWERCUBE8BLK

I'm sure there are other good work-around solutions, but this one works well for me.

Best,
J.

If you have your crossover set properly and an acoustically treated room, a sub will give you a better representation of the bass than just the BX5s alone. Without that, it may be hard to get the bass right.

I have the previous BX5 speakers, and mix on them without a sub. However, I periodically a/b with some Logitech computer speakers that have a sub, just to hear what the low bass is really doing.

Richard Monroe said:
As far as the crossover settings, I find 100-120hz is about the right crossover separation frequency. The volume settings on the sub and mains you'll have to set by ear, according to your needs and taste. I've never heard the Wharfdale sub, but a couple of guys on this board wound up using it with SP5B, the predecessor of the BX5, with good results. I use the SP5B's with the SBX, and the combination is very usable. The sub definitely makes a huge improvement in the system.-Richie

i found the same in my room, 100hz. (with 6" driver)
i did the rta thing with MSHilarious's help it was awesome....
setting up by ear, as you'll read most posts on this subject, you can barely hear the sub for Audio- Flatness attempt (in comparison to HomeTheater exploding airplanes for example).
and when i did the rta, it was the same barely hear the sub.
i guess thats the idea to make the crossver invisible or smooth, unlike the home theater setup.

Last edited:
COOLCAT said:
i guess thats the idea to make the crossver invisible or smooth, unlike the home theater setup.

I couldn't agree more, Cool. A ton of my favorite reference CDs and some patience helped a lot.

J.

Back