buzzing

guitarguy1012

my new 60s tele kicks. i love it, but its got extreme buzz whenever i take my hands off the strings or any of the metal stuff. it does it when its clean and distorted. Any suggestions? I dont really wanna do anything extreme.

Check for a ground wire to the bridge in the control plate, should connect to the volume and or tone pots, probably grounded under the metal bridge plate assembly. It might have a cold or just poorly connected solder joint at the pots.

Anfontan said:
Check for a ground wire to the bridge in the control plate, should connect to the volume and or tone pots, probably grounded under the metal bridge plate assembly. It might have a cold or just poorly connected solder joint at the pots.

Before you open up your guitar, just connect a piece of wire from the shield of your guitar cable to the bridge or one of the strings. If the prob goes away, the bridge ground wire (or lack of it) is the prob. If not, look elsewhere.

guitarguy1012 said:
my new 60s tele kicks. i love it, but its got extreme buzz whenever i take my hands off the strings or any of the metal stuff. it does it when its clean and distorted. Any suggestions? I dont really wanna do anything extreme.

I had this problem, and still do.

You want to know the answer?

I am 150% sure that the outlet you are playing on is not ground. I might be a 3 prong outlet, but the electricians that installed it never grounded the damn thing. If they did, the guitar would be ground 24/7.

There is nothing wrong with your guitar.

I know this because I took off the wall outlets faceplate and looked inside. then I plugged it into the 3 pronger in the the kitchen and it went away. The kitchen one when I took it off was grouned. Then I plugged into the bathroom outlet and it buzzed again. Took off the faceplate and what do you know....no ground wire.

Outlaws said:
I had this problem, and still do.

You want to know the answer?

I am 150% sure that the outlet you are playing on is not ground. I might be a 3 prong outlet, but the electricians that installed it never grounded the damn thing. If they did, the guitar would be ground 24/7.

There is nothing wrong with your guitar.

I know this because I took off the wall outlets faceplate and looked inside. then I plugged it into the 3 pronger in the the kitchen and it went away. The kitchen one when I took it off was grouned. Then I plugged into the bathroom outlet and it buzzed again. Took off the faceplate and what do you know....no ground wire.

A good addition to every electric guitarists gig bag is one of those little circuit testers that they have at Radio Shack. It's a little yellow plastic block with two green LED's and one red one that plugs into an outlet. There's a chart on the side of it that tells you what every possible combo of LED's that light up means (open ground, hot-neutral reversed, etc.) It will show you what you want to know about an outlet without having to open it up, and in the case of some wiring errors, it can save your life.

Back