buzzing

paganprogress

My tele has developed a buzz. He he. Oh yeah it's on the c d and d sharp of the fifth string. Why is it only there, and how do I make the bees go away? :D

hmm, now im no expert, but since no one else has replied to this yet ill g ive it a shot. i think it could be some worn frets if its an older guitar, or an uneven fret if its a new guitar. look for small grooves on the frets where the string would make contact, thats a good sign of worn frets.

ibanezrocks said:
hmm, now im no expert, but since no one else has replied to this yet ill g ive it a shot. i think it could be some worn frets if its an older guitar, or an uneven fret if its a new guitar. look for small grooves on the frets where the string would make contact, thats a good sign of worn frets.

Could a combination of a lot of things. Look at the neck for bowing, look at the action, and look at the bridge saddle for the fifth string. I suppose it could also just be that you need new strings, or are using the wrong guage strings for the way the nut/bridge are currently set up.

Unless you're comfortable doing your own work, take it to a tech.

The most likely reason for a buzz in such a specific place is a fret issue. It could be a loose fret, a high fret, or just general fret wear (this is most likely). Take your guitar to a good repair shop, and have them look at it, as it is imposible to evaluate these things without having the guitar in my hands. It is probable that you can get away with a fret dress, but if it is really bad, you may be looking at a refret, and if it is a maple fingerboard, you may as well get a new neck.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

tele buzz

hey thank you for the info. it is a new guitar. I have light gauge strings on it now -1st string is .009 but want to go to next gauge up. will this make the buzz worse? sounds like I need a luthier to look at it. Stay in the light!

Heavier strings will probably help with the buzz.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Ibanez Noodles Signature Guitar + Dunlop Crybaby + Crate Amp = ... BAD
Telecaster '68 in Butterscotch Blond/GIbo SG + Fender Twin + Vox Fuzz = GOOD

If the strings are even a bit old (I'm assuming the originals are on there), replace those first before doing any other work. Strings that get worn unevenly can cause buzz problems, and trust me you'll be quite pissed off if you take it in, have them look at it and hold it for awhile, and charge you an arm and leg just because you needed a string change. However, if it's a new guitar, more than likely it's a set-up issue, so if the new strings don't work, take it in and have it professionally set up.

edit: Oh yeah, and if you're planning on changing string gauge anyway, you'll want the heavier strings on there so you can set it up properly for that; getting it intonated and the action set on 9's isn't gonna do you any good if you move up a couple gauges.

Last edited:
ElctricLdyland said:
Ibanez Noodles Signature Guitar + Dunlop Crybaby + Crate Amp = ... BAD
Telecaster '68 in Butterscotch Blond/GIbo SG + Fender Twin + Vox Fuzz = GOOD
booo telecasters. it doesnt matter how nice your amp is, telecasters sound bad to me. a good amp can't overcome weak sounding pickups and an overly 'twangy' guitar.
I'll stick with my ibanez infinity pickups, and my ducttape finish. :cool:

Back