Buzzing when recording bass

luzer_kidd

Hey everyone...

I am having a problem when recording my bass... there is this buzzing sound that sounds like its from the other electically devices. but i dont know how to get rid of them...

The sound is only there when my hands r off of any metal on the guitar... but if i touch the strings, tuners, bridge, volume knob, even the metal part on my rack the buzzing goes away...

I though of 2 possible ways to get rid of it... One would be a power conditioner with a noise filter ... but i dont know if that would get rid of the sound....
the second is weird but it would work... i was thinking of taking a wire or something and have it connect like on the bridge and then have it so u can wrap in on ur leg or something so that ur always in contact with the metal on the gutar so that the sound would not be there... but thats a weird way to fix the problem...

right now i am using my Gallen Krueger 800RB and going out the direct output into my Digi 001 until i can afford a sansamp to use as my direct box...

I just got a compressor/gate.. so i used the noise gate to eliminate the sound but when im playing some stuff i will take my hands off of the bass but i will still be strumming and it will come back for a second so the gate doesnt help it...

I have also tried different outlets in my room and in outher rooms of my house to see if it is a ground... i tried both of my basses... i have tried different cables... i tired different guitar cables... different mic cables ... i even tried just plugging it in straigt to the 001 bypassing the amp and compressor .. but i still get the buzzing..

Then i tried taking my bass and walking as far away from all the electronic devices in my room and the buzzing went down but it still wasnt gone.....

So if any one has any suggestions I would much appreciate it...

Thanks...

ok this is what i did... I live in my basement so a couple days ago i tried my amp out there but i still had the same problem... then today i brought my amp upstairs and the sound was still there but barely noticible... it was so much more quiter than before....

so i dont think its the ground in the house... i think it may possibly be the 12 fluorescent lights above my head...LOL...

What do u think?=)

ooppss... i meant to say that i tried a different room in my basement.. cuz they r on different circuit breakers... so i thought it may possible be the one room..

Thanks maestro... it hasnt helped me solve my problem yet but it did make me think that its airborne and also that its not a good idea to use the person playing as the ground.....=)

kidd, another idea is to check if there are any lights with dimmers on the same circuit as your amp, and if so, make sure the dimmer is "fully on", that could create a hum.

Does the bass have bridge and neck pick-ups? You could try putting the switch in the middle(humbucking) position, although you may not like that tone.

You could also look into properly shielding your axe. I am planning to do this myself, although I really don't have much of a hum problem right now.

Check this site, very informative, and helpful!:D

It might be the flourescents ever try turning them off? Simple way to check.

Then it's just a matter of a table lamp to solve it....or play in the dark.;) :eek:

yeah i have tried turning them off but there is no differnce.....
maybe its just the ground in the basement? and upstairs is ok

Back