Buzzing speakers due to video card stress?

thebigcheese

"Hi, I'm in Delaware."
I use my computer for gaming and general purpose stuff, mainly, and a bit of mixing for my band when we're putting an album together. I use Yamaha HS50ms for the monitors, with the matching HS10w sub, and a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 for my interface. Prior to noticing this problem, I was using the Scarlett 18i6 as my interface.

So here's what I notice. There is a constant buzzing sound in the speakers. The volume of the interface does not change the volume of the buzzing. However, when I load up a game, the buzzing gets worse. I am using nice Mogami balanced cables for all the audio connections, so I can't imagine those are the problem. As I said before, I was using a USB interface before (that was also not bus powered), so although the video card seems to be one cause of the problem, I have to wonder if it isn't also related to the firewire connection. I have tried plugging the interface into the wall, just to see if that would change anything, but no difference. I am using a TI-chipset firewire PCI card for the interface.

Any thoughts? Do I maybe need a new firewire card? Not sure what else it could be...

Does the sound become emphasized when using your scroll with the mouse wheel? Did you custom build the machine? It could be a grounding issue, I had the exact same problem with an older machine because one of the standoffs on the motherboard came loose from the case, causing the sound to buzz anytime the CPU/GPU had stress or scrolled with the mouse wheel

Does the sound become emphasized when using your scroll with the mouse wheel? Did you custom build the machine? It could be a grounding issue, I had the exact same problem with an older machine because one of the standoffs on the motherboard came loose from the case, causing the sound to buzz anytime the CPU/GPU had stress or scrolled with the mouse wheel

It is custom built. I can check the standoffs. Though I also did a little more reading and remembered I have a nice Ebtech Hum Eliminator from when I was experimenting with a TC G-System, and that seems to get rid of the buzz just fine. Thanks for the tip, though!

Back