Buzzing 20/20s (Newbie in this area).

Brahmb

My Event 20/20 BAS monitors have developed a buzz...I thought reference monitors were supposed to not wear so easily (they are only 4 years old and haven't been abused other than their test drive :D ). It only seems to happen as I run my keyboard through them though, so I imagine it's a level thing....

When I crank tunes on Media Player... no buzz. When I crank the keyboard organ sound... buzz on octave D2 (a key I'm using alot lately). When I turn down the level on the keyboard itself and crank the monitors... less buzz, but more hum and I can't get near the level of the Media Player. Is compression the key to this? Or is it just that sound (and others like it - the bass, for example). If compression, how do I fix it? The keyboard (Motif ES8) has it's own compressor, or I can run things through ProTools and compress there...

Any other ideas (please don't tell me it's time for new speakers... I just bought the Yammie, though I know a proper keyboard amp will help...)

Brahmb said:
When I turn down the level on the keyboard itself and crank the monitors... less buzz, but more hum and I can't get near the level of the Media Player.

Sorry....meant more hiss... not hum.

EVENT 20/20 sssshhhhh

i don't know your "root cause" but you've troubleshot it
beautifully...

partition, partition....thats troubleshooting in a nutshell.
sometimes you catch it right away, sometimes it's the
last partition...

The fact you had two other devices that didn't SHSHSHSHSH...
says it ain't the speakers.

could be a impedance thing...try the keyboard thru something
else, may get your ohmages and currents and milli volts happy..
and sshshshsss gone.

4yrs on the Events you like them apparently?? i noticed BEar recommends them often, if a little more $$ is available over the Yorks.

I have my first channel strip...and it was amazing myself...
by adjusting the pre/in and outputs and the recorders pre in...
fhkng all this noise and crap DISAPPEARED!!! I was like whoooaa!!
immediately grabbed the microphone and said 1,2,3,4...and it was
like damnnn!!! amazing.

amplifying the amplified noise can get louder SSSSHHH...
play with your in & out knobs and see what happens? :)

Last edited:
Found the trouble

Ok. I'm pretty sure I have it nailed down now. I just played the demo songs from the Motif Es through the speakers and was able to crank with no buzzing. So that tells me the individual voice is turned up too high on one frequency or another and it's an internal mixing/limiting situation with the Yammie. I just got the keyboard, so I just need to learn the internal workings before I blow my speakers;).

Btw

BTW Coolcat, Blue Bear is the reason I bought the 20/20s. I'm verry happy with them, and for what they cost - a little over 600 at the time (I'd never paid more than 150 for a stereo system, let alone just speakers - what did I know?), I hope to be happy until they come out with some miracle, affordable ($50 - 100) nearfields.

Back