Buying New Mic Pre's (On a budget)

Drumz519

So, I'm doing some shopping for the my college's studio. We are currently running a Pro Tools LE setup with the Digi 002 rack and using a Mackie ONYX 1640 for it's pre's (and nothing else- what a waste!). I'm hoping to get some outboard pre's so we can use the ONYX as a live board. I've been looking into some 2-chan. pre's. Any recommendations? I'm trying to stay in the $200-400 range here (for 2 chan). I've heard some good things about the ART MPA Gold. I'd like to get some pre's that are an upgrade from the ONYX pre's on the board.

Thanks!

You're going to have to spend a lot more than that in order to get an "upgrade" over the Onyx pres.

You could get something fairly comparable (and 2 channels) if you get an RNP.

M-Audio DMP-3 , 2 Rane MS1B's, or step up to an RNP. Never used the ART so I can't comment.

I've got all of those but the RNP. The Art holds it own with any of them, but it's not as neutral as the M-Audio or the Rane. I like it for Bass (DI) and I use it almost exclusively for recording mic'd electric guitars.

But no so much vocals (some voices anyway) and never for acoustic instruments.

Now that I've regurgitated all that, here's the kicker. I don't have or know anything about the Onyx. So please disregard my comments.

Thanks for the comments. I just think that the ONYX board is being wasted in our current setup. We're just using the pre's and going direct out through the inserts. It just seems like overkill and it would be nice to have a few different rack pre's for people to learn on and experiment with instead of just the pre's from the board.

Thoughts?

Back